How to understand "无 所谓 " in this conversation?

Anyone could help me explain "无 所谓 " in this conversation? 多谢!

I don’t care/I don’t mind/whatever/any brand of noodles is ok. It is used a little like an offhand “whatever” is used in English. The term is not really well suited for formal or respectful conversation.

1 Like

The problem is there shouldn’t be a space! If you look at 无 and 所谓 separately, it won’t make sense. Together as a single “word” it means you are indifferent or it doesn’t matter to you, or any of the similar options iaing gave.

As with almost every Chinese vocabulary term, it is flexible and can play many parts of speech. For example, one could say 无所谓得耸耸肩 (to shrug one’s shoulders “indifferently” [adverb]) or 耸耸肩表示无所谓 (to shrug one’s shoulders to express “indifference” [noun]). When it functions as an adverb of course it is followed by the structural particle 得 used with other verbs.

But most often it will be used as a short expression in response to being given options to say “whatever”, like it is here…

1 Like

Btw, you suddenly just killed my known words total on here! :smiley: Finally got around to marking words known?