What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate?

HI everyone, i’ve got a question:What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate?

Have you tried to Google for an answer first?

I googled your exact words “What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate” and see that there are a lot of search results. I’ve checked a couple of them and they give very detailed answers.

An undergraduate is someone studying towards their first degree (so say their Bachelors) a graduate is someone that has finished their undergraduate degree and has graduated. There’s also postgraduate which is someone studying towards a postgraduate degree (like a Masters or PhD)

http://bit.ly/7ZECkF (undergraduate)
http://bit.ly/7hOnvy (postgraduate)

Everyone can find in Google a lot of informations. Would forums become redundant or die out, Cantotango?

cajndon is from China… are there some issues with Google there? I read on Google help forums that sometimes the government blocks Google Docs, for example

guess I could Google and find out :stuck_out_tongue:

junair,

Of course everyone can discuss whatever they please in the forums. However it has been mentioned before that if you want to ask a question in the forums, whether language related or not, preferably you make an effort to find out the answers yourself first. The forums are not meant to serve as dictionaries or search engines.

I think that some people just like to express themselves on the forum, which is fine. People are free to respond or not. Some items of discussion are more interesting than others.

In general, though,I agree with Cantotango. I am not so interested in questions on the forum which are easily answered by checking on google or checking an online dictionary.

Cantotango,

I also find it not OK when someone asks about a dictionary word or something like that. But today we can really find a huge amount of information to any topic without asking somebody. Some sociologists say it lead to a communication problem.

I know the forum rules, as I asked you about it I just wanted to know your opinion.

We have opportunities to communicate today like we never had before. This Forum is only one small example. It is up to us to decide what to make of these opportunities.

I’m agreeing with Steve on this. I had the exact same question once. All I can say is that a quick Google search and five minutes later I had my answer. Always look for the answer yourself and after looking and no progress does one resort to a forum. My opinion.

If we are talking about forum guidelines, one that I support is no excessive self-correction. That is, if you are pretty sure the meaning of your post is clear, don’t post subsequent corrections of mechanical errors. It makes for really dull reading and distracts from the point of discussion.

I hope that someone will begin a new thread about forum guidelines, If he or she thinks that we need explicit rules other than “Talk about anything you like as long as you write in English!” I am afraid that we will forget the title of this thread soon.

I must say that I am not in favour of too many rules or guidelines. We are free to say what we like, and to comment on what others say. I do not think that with our “elite” group, we will need any moderators. I enjoy our forums and am happy about people posting here, whatever they have to say.

I may express disagreement or even offer advice or criticism , but I am open to the same from others.

I would like to hope that people have made some attempt to look a word up before they ask on a forum. However, if you look it up, and get an answer that provokes the response “What the…???” then by all means ask a human being’s opinion on the forum.

I have a student who does this all the time, he makes a list of all the words for which the dictionary explanation makes no sense for him. I look up the dictionary explanation (sometimes also saying "What the…???). I can then add my own experience and knowledge to explain the explanation until it makes sense to him in the context in which he has encountered the word.

By the way, there is also a graduand, who is someone who is graduating this year. Not used much, even by graduands.

It’s nearly always possible to answer a forum question with a link to suitable information. But do we wish such answers in forum?
I wonder what answer cajndon prefers in this case.

Personally I don’t like posts longer than one screen. In such posts I usually read several upper lines and the punch line. It would be great if people moderated themselves to one screen.

One screen = one editing screen? (the rectangle that we write in)

Anyway, if that is what you mean, I agree. Especially if I think from the point of view of a learner of a language. I would not like to read long posts in French and especially Japanese. Even in English, with the some exceptions, I usually skim longer posts. As Shakespeare once said, “brevity is the soul of wit”.

On the other hand I sometimes import the longer posts in Russian and study them as content, picking up words and phrases.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

I also consider the longer posts of native speakers as a learn content

If we were talking about forum guidelines, the page below might be useful.
Guidelines for Acrobat User Community Forums

Show Respect

No SPAM

No Flames or Personal Attacks

No Commercials

Be Concise
In general, keep your messages concise. (Shorter posts are also more likely to be read.) When lengthy messages seem appropriate, be sure to break up the paragraphs for easy reading.

Add Value
Only post a reply if and when you have something constructive to share. Don’t merely add a “Me too!” note.

Stay on Topic
Stay on the stated topic, or start a new forum topic. Provide sufficient detail so others won’t need to request information before they attempt to offer help. For guidance on how to ask questions, see the article “How To Ask Questions The Smart Way."

Use Meaningful ‘Subject’ Lines
In starting a new discussion topic, use a meaningful ‘Subject’ line. Many people decide whether they want to read a forum message based on the the subject line. Don’t say ‘Help me,’ but instead indicate the specific type of problem for which you’re seeking help.

Check Resources First
Don’t ask questions for which the answers are readily available in available resources, such as Acrobat’s Help documentation. Don’t expect others to do your research. Ask questions when you truly are stuck on a problem and can’t figure out what’s wrong, and want input from other users.

No Cross-posting

Respect Copyright

Contact Moderator