How to remove your native accent completely?

I want to achieve that. Thank you.

1 Like

You’re welcome.

1 Like

Which langauge are you learning? Which language is your native language?

To be good at speaking you have to speak often. Listen to the difference between a native, and your your own speech, and try to mimic the native person. It takes time, though. Patience is key.

1 Like

For what reason do you have to remove your accent related to your native language?

learnin Mandarin. Native is English.

1 Like

Exactly how long does the process take?

Simply I don’t like the sound and accent I’m speaking.

If I were you, I would not worry about an accent that might reveal my native language.

Hi ! =)))

It’s next to impossible, to tell you the truth! :wink:

I can tell you the details none of those present here will ever tell you! :wink: The hardest sounds to exactly copy are always … the VOWELS !

It’s WAY much easier with the consonants, and if it’s interesting I can explain why! :wink: It has everything to do with physics and acoustics as applied to such branches of linguistics as phonetics and, to be more specific, phonology! :wink:

1 Like

I am a native English speaker. I speak with a New England accent. If I were to move to Australia, Wales, Scotland, England, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, or where ever else, even though I know all the English grammar and could pick up the local idioms and words, I would never fully lose my accent.

For myself, my goal is to work towards being understandable. Then again, I am just a beginner in Korean.

I suspect the best one can do is listen and mimic very carefully. Have you tried the Mimic Method? Have you used a native speaking tutor to work on pronunciation? Have you tried Fluent Forever’s approach?

Just to be clear, do you want to sound like a native Chinese speaker or do you want to not sound like a native English speaker? The former is probably next to impossible. I don’t know about the latter.

Some main areas:

1- Work on the key sounds that are different between the two languages.

Key initials - Q, J, X, CH, SH, ZH, R, C, S, Z
Key finals - particularly the “ng” finals
Key vowels such as the umlaut U, and A and E

I agree with Pauler that the vowels are a key here, and even the “simple” vowels like “a” and “e” are very tricky to do very well in mandarin.

2- Work on the tones (and, in particular, tone pairs).

3- Work on overall sentence intonation.

4- Listen a lot.

For 1, sinosplice is best - Chinese Pronunciation - Sinosplice
[Sinosplice pretty much nails it - but the following two links helped me with some of the more nuanced aspects, like the umlaut u and ng finals] learnchineseabc.com , learnchineseabc.com [ignore the instructions at learnchineseabc, which is mostly incorrect - and just watch the visuals]

+also seek out lots of PSC-type material eg

For 2 and 3 - recording yourself repeating natural dialogues for a few minutes a day is an effective program. When you hear a recording of yourself speaking, it is “instantly obvious” to you if you are getting it right or not. This makes this approach very effective. Listening and speaking “tone-pair” drills is also useful. Full sentence intonation and getting “tone-pairs” right, are just as important (if not more so) than getting a single word tone right.

For 4- paying close attention to listening (in general) will help you tune in to the sounds. As Julien Gaudfroy once said “Remember, always listen a lot more than you speak or practise…language is mostly imitation. I’d say at the beginning, imitating perfectly takes 90% listening and 10% practice. Radio is the best way on this matter…”.

Additionally, listening to xiangsheng comedies is useful, as they will often exaggerate the language using a strong north eastern accent.

Also listening to talk/chat radio is very useful - here is a talk radio course - Login - LingQ

In Singapore, it is hard to get practise with a standard Chinese accent just by talking to local native Mandarin speakers, as most of the accents tend to be southern/Fujian, although this is changing slightly.

Again, Gaudfroy has good general advice here : "Some people believe talking a lot is key. Can be true, but don’t forget that talking a lot means repeating your own mistakes all the time! Then it becomes harder and harder to get rid if them. Talking a lot works only if you pay a lot of attention to listening all the time and always assume that you’re still missing something.”

If all the above fails – try the Pink Panther Accent Reduction Method ™ – french man who wants to go to USA (pink panther) - YouTube

Hard to say really. Without sounding arrogant, I have achieved native like accent in English. I’ve been learning English since I was 6. I started to slingshot into fluency in my teens. I think by the time I was 16 I was speaking like a native. Of course, the more you work on it, the faster it goes.
I used to speak in front of a mirror for about 20 minutes or so everyday. I would try my best to copy native speakers from movies and TV shows. Then it just starts to snowball its way up until you start to speak more or less like a native.

1 Like

The former.

Thank you.

Thank you. I want to achieve the native level, by hook or by crook.

2 Likes

I tried. Still have the native accent. I’m losing my patience, sigh pie.

1 Like

No problem. What is your current level?

So you are satisfied with your Singaporean English accent, but you aren’t satisfied with your Singaporean Mandarin accent? Why the difference?