German history in your school books

Hi there,

I am interested in your school books.

When did you hear about German history in school for the first time?

Can you show me copies of the German chapters? Or please send me links for typical history school books from your country.

Thank you very much for your help :slight_smile:

Meinst Du deutsche Geschichte von "Varus, Varus, gib mir meine Legionen wieder! (Schlacht im Teutoburger Wald, AD 09) an? (Auch so eine glorifizierte Geschichte … ) Sicherlich geht es Dir um das 20. Jahrhundert. Wir haben’s leider nur bis Bismarck und etwas vom 1. Weltkrieg geschafft.

“When did you hear about German history in school for the first time?”

I guess by “German History” you mean Nazis?

1 Like

U.S. history textbooks really picture Germans as bad people during that time period.

@ Paule89 Among other things I mean the Nazi crap…but it is interesting too to hear about which other topics are on the schedule about Germany in different countries…

1 Like

I guess all countries are interested in their own history. The history of any other nations is described from the particular country’s point of view. History is almost always the current government’s propaganda.

1 Like

In Asia kids are learning that Germany is still occupied. I know that first hand. Now I asked myself, are there other countries in the world who teaches the same in schools?

I beg to differ! What exactly is your source? Where exactly in Asia? That is a gross generalisation if ever I saw one :wink:

Her source seems to be, at least partly, her own experience, and the post does not make any claims for how general this is to Asia. Still, I also wonder where in Asia this is tought.

@ Maria2…hehe you are right…it was in Malaysia. The son of a friend went there to school. He lived two years in Malaysia. So the son learned that in history class…But @ all, please answer my questions from my first text…thank you…

“Can you show me copies of the German chapters? Or please send me links for typical history school books from your country.”

Here it is from a school book of my daughter. Look at pages 36-39.
http://slovo.ws/urok/historymid/07/001/036.html

There are articles about some other countries, too. The previous centuries were described in the previous year. For example: http://slovo.ws/urok/historymid/06/001/064.html

I guess it’s possible to find the school books which describe other ages.

1 Like

Thank you so much Ress :slight_smile:

Ah, quite an assumption that we actually study history, let alone the history of Germany! :slight_smile:

It was left to my mother, whose family came to the U.S. from various parts of Germany in the 19th century, to tell me something about German history. I don’t remember being taught anything about German history in school until we got to World War I. I don’t know current practices in American schools, but I fear it might be the same these days even in high school.

In my day we had world geography in elementary school, and I had an excellent teacher. Currently it is not a separate course at any level. I have met high school grads who thought Washington, D.C. was in the center to the country.

Most Americans are shockingly ignorant of both geography and history, even their own.

You may have heard that after the bombings at the Boston Marathon by 2 brothers from Chechnya, some television hotheads were talking about invading or bombing the Czech Republic. Scary.

1 Like