Is “with” correct in this sentence?

My daughter had her last drum performance “with” her daycare in front of a department store today.

Is “with” correct in this sentence?

She performed with her classmates in her daycare. She is going to leave her daycare in a few months and enter an elementary school.

Thank you.

1 Like

not really. it should be

“…drum performance with her day care class”

1 Like

but the ‘class’ part is assumed…so not strictly necessary. At first glance I knew exactly what was being spoken of.

1 Like

Can you say “at a daycare center”?

or at a daycare centre…(just teasin’)

Actually, in Australia we say “childcare” instead of “daycare”, but the “class” part is assumed similarly, unless one wants to specifically emphasize the location or distinguish it from other types of childcare.

1 Like

Perfect sentence (except for the quotation marks of course). Nice work Yukiko san.

1 Like

The with seems perfectly correct in “… performance with the children of her day care in front of …” , In the UK we tend to say “nursery” - instead of day care or kindergarten - when we talk of pre-school children.

And yes, “… leave her day care centre …” could be an alternative, although “a day care centre” would not make sense in this context, it needs the ‘her’.

This is going to be off-thread, but as I am going to have a new grandchild any minute now, I got interested in the child care aspect of this post. I started thinking about childminders as an alternative to nurseries or day care centres. As the cost of childcare is prohibitive, many people opt for childminders (who aren’t much cheaper).

“Registered childminders can look after up to six children up to the age of eight. Of these, a maximum of three can be under fives, who are classed as ‘young children’*and a single childminder can only have one child under one year old. This ratio includes the childminder’s own children if they are under age eight.”

2 Likes

I find the different regional terms interesting, actually – and sometimes confusing especially talking about 4 & 5 year old education!:slight_smile:

Brits say “childminders”; we say “carers” & “registered carers”. We call the childcare (UK: “childminding”) located in homes as “family day care”. “Elementary” school (USA) becomes “primary” school here.

We don’t say “nurseries”, but rather day care or childcare. My kids sometimes went to childcare (at a childcare centre) when little, & sometimes to “after-school care”, as well as occasional “vacation care” during school holidays. (Yet we call it ‘school holidays’ & not vacation time like in USA).

As for “pre-school” & “kindergarten” worldwide, these are confusing terms for me, as they mean different things – not only in different countries – but even amongst Australian states & territories!

I understand the entry year of education in the American school system is called “Kindergarten” (?), but our first year of school is called “Reception” in South Australia (commencing age 5). Don’t ask me why, but different Australian states call it by different names. Other states call the entry year “pre-school” or “kindergarten” – to really confuse things.

What we call “Kindergarten” here in SA – which is non-compulsory – is actually a type of “pre-school” run by local councils, community groups or private organisations for 4 year olds. Before “Kindergarten”, my under 4 year olds attended “Preschool” at a community centre once a week for a couple of hours with myself & other parents.

1 Like

Oh, good, now I am really confused! Here in the UK they have Reception classes after nursery (a class in its own right within the school building) in primary schools, too. The kids here also go to after school clubs, breakfast clubs, daily or boarding holiday camps (your vacation care) and, naturally, childminders, with the odd grandparent thrown in. Your research was fascinating. And now I really shall have to get up and have my breakfast.

1 Like

Daycare center is, in my opinion, only used in the U.S. Other part of the English speaking world, like Julz in Australia, use childcare or, like SanneT in the UK, nursery.

Thank you so much for the comments and feedback!!

3 Likes