Can the pursuit of happiness make you unhappy?

Here is the link to an article in the ‘Magazine’ section of the BBC website. It is at an advanced level. The (radio) broadcast is available on the BBC iplayer (a direct link is given towards the middle of the article on the right of the page). Unlike some of the television programmes, radio is accessible worldwide, I think.

In the spirit of things: I enjoyed sharing this and hope that it’ll bring a smile to your face, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s an interesting article, thank you, Sanne.
There are a lot of definitions of the happiness, there are a lot of kinds or forms of the happiness.
Of course, the happiness of possession is more fragile, more transient that the happiness of feeling, the happiness of sharing and helping or just the happiness of living.
I believe that the pursuit of happiness can make us unhappy, but the people pursued, pursue and will pursue the happiness - c’est la vie.

1 Like

There is a movie called “Hector and the search for happiness” and as the title suggests it is about the search for happiness. I believe the search for happiness can make you unhappy, because “searching” for something and maybe not getting the covetted results may disappoint. Keeping an eye open for all that makes you happy will more likely bring happiness than searching for it I think.

Here is a trailer of the movie “Hector and the search for happiness”:

I’m sure you are right on the right track with your " Keeping an eye open for all that makes you happy will more likely bring happiness than searching for it …"

They say it is not a good idea to get carried away in the pursuit of happiness.
Because “life is just what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans”, as John Lennon once said in his song :slight_smile:

“The US import, Black Friday, is a kind of purchasing orgy which follows Thanksgiving Thursday - once a holiday about gratitude and sharing which has now morphed into a festival of over-eating, discovering you only like your family when they’re not around and preparing to hate them all over again at Christmas.”
Why do they hate their family? Do they not want to see their family over-eat?

" An Arizona State University study shows that just writing out expressions of affection could lower your cholesterol levels. So sharing affection could benefit the heart in both senses. "
This is interesting.

2 Likes

No wonder I am feeling great at the moment, I have just finished a letter to my granddaughter. (I want her to have the experience of receiving her very own letters. Luckily enough she seems to be enjoying our correspondence as much as I am.)

2 Likes

Thanksgiving and Christmas are seen as very stressful for families. The bit about “you only like your family when they’re not around” is a kind of joke, although it has a lot of truth in it. Some people might begin to think during the Thanksgiving festivities that they will have to ‘endure’ the extended family again at Christmas. “Peace and love throughout the year, apart from Thanksgiving and Christmas”, quite a sad little joke.

1 Like

Check out this cool episode: BBC Sounds - A Point of View - Available Episodes
AL Kennedy: Language and Listening: 16 Jan 15

AL Kennedy reflects on the importance of learning languages and listening to one another. “More words give me more paths to and from the hearts of others, more points of view - I don’t think that’s a bad thing.”

1 Like