As weak as a cat

“I feel as weak as a cat.”
What do you think of this expression?
I cannot associate a cat with any weakness.

1 Like

But “a cat” is not so strong as ‘a dog’ is.
By the way, there are a lot of such comparisons in English using ‘as…as’, for example: as white as snow, as sly as a fox, as sweet as honey, as quick as a lightning etc.

2 Likes

Hi ! =))) Neither can I, to tell you the truth! =))) Cat can be associated with what not, but surely not with any weakness ! =)))
My first guess is, it might be a word-for-word translation by a person with another language background! :wink:

1 Like

Domo arigatou gozaimasu! ~_^

As weak as a newborn kitten… Is the correct phrase and they are quite feeble :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When a kitten is born, they are more or less defenceless. Sometimes they even struggle to suckle. They more or less have to crawl to their mothers teats, so are definitely weak. As weak as a kitten basically means that a person feels fragile or vulnerable to anything and couldn’t even defend themselves or stand up if they tried. The error you have is one of mistranslation.

2 Likes

Ah, kitten??? =))) It DOES make sense then! =)))) The implication is apparent even without ‘newborn’ ! :wink:

A side note I’ve also heard, ‘as weak as a newborn lamb’ in the same sort of context

1 Like

Oh, really? With us in Russian it literally goes like ‘as a blind kitten’ ! =))) Although ‘as helpless as a kitten’ is not a set phrase with us, yet if used as an occasionalism, it will be readily understood by everybody speaking Russian as ‘kitten’ here is the key word, implying weakness! :wink:

It goest about cats, not about “cats and dogs!” :wink:

For your information, Yukata is a self-proclaimed cat person and is thus particularly sensitive to …

3 Likes

I don’t like to discuss with someone about the trifles. I have no time for it.
That’s why I quite rarely write something in the forum.
I only answer some certain questions if I can do it.
My opinion is - we can compare everything free: as weak as a cat, as strong as a lion etc - it depends on our experience.
However, good luck!

1 Like

Ah, looks like I got the idea now! =))) ‘Quite really’ stands for ‘quite rarely’, then it does make sense! :wink:

Thanks, I’m really an absent-minded person and make some spelling mistakes.

1 Like

“I’ll write you a prescription,” he said doubtfully, “and see if it does you any good. You’d better stay in bed for a while.”
“There ain’t much fear of my getting up, doc,” answered the captain. “I feel as weak as a cat.”
But he believed in the doctor’s prescription as little as did the doctor himself, and when he was alone amused himself by lighting his cigar with it.
—HONOLULU

1 Like

Ah, now I think I got Maugham’s implication! :wink: As the captain speaks like ‘There ain’t …’ it’s implied that he is not a very highly educated person, so he might easily confuse ‘kitten’ with ‘cat’, maybe heard something pertaining to feline species but why specifically ‘kitten’; well, he didn’t actually care much about figuring out the real reason! :wink:

Unlike your pal bestokes (what a strange name!), he doesn’t have refined vocabulary.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was trying to say! :wink:

1 Like

Lol, It’s Brad Stokes, I had a little problem with usernames and got stuck with, first initial + last name

2 Likes

A-ah, now I’ve got the point ! =))))) As first I was somewhat puzzled ! :wink: