The house that I built

This is the house that I built.

This is the living room that is located in the house that I built.

This is the sofa that is put in the living room that is located in the house I built.

Correction:
Is put → was put

This is the cat that is used to sit on the sofa that is put in the living room that is located in the house that I built.

Correction:
Is used to sit → used to sit
Is put → was put

Nah, that one doesn’t work. I’d say: “This is the living room (in my case, 'loungeroom”, hehe) in the house I built."

Nah, too awkward. Try, “This is the sofa from the living room in the house I built.”

This is the camera that I used to take a picture of the cat that is used to sit on the sofa that is put in the living room that is located in the house that I built.

Correction:
This is the camera that I used to take a picture of the cat that used to sit on the sofa that was put in the living room that is located in the house that I built.

You’re having fun…^^

This is the cat that used to sit on the living room sofa in the house I built.

1 Like

This is the comment that is going to break the camel’s back that is floating on top of the cup that is going to flow over any moment now . . .

Edit: This is not a complaint :slight_smile: I do enjoy @Yutaka’s little but complicated challenges.

4 Likes

Will he take the hint? :)~

That was not just one biblical reference that I wrote, (ouch, what a painful sentence) and that I expect our dear @Yutaka to crack.

Besides the painful overuse of “that” and the redundancy of “located”, how is a cat used to sit on a sofa? Do you sit on the cat like a cushion?

I assume this is a cat that used to sit on the sofa, or is used to sitting on the sofa, but certainly not a cat that is used to sit on the sofa!

1 Like

Well, I suppose one could always step onto a cat in order to get up to the sofa or only let people who carry a cat sit on the sofa.

N.B. No animals have been hurt by this comment, the cat in question could be a stool in the shape of a cat . . .

2 Likes

So you stepped in cat stool while getting onto your sofa?

1 Like

@colin - now how did I know you were going to say that? :))

I can always be relied on to take the conversation down a level.

3 Likes

“This is the house that Jack built…”
This is the farmer sowing his corn,
That kept the cock that crowed in the morn,
That waked the priest all shaven and shorn,
That married the man all tattered and torn,
That kissed the maiden all forlorn,
That milked the cow with the crumpled horn,
That tossed the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt
That lay in the house that Jack built.
http://www3.amherst.edu/~rjyanco94/literature/mothergoose/rhymes/thisisthehousethatjackbuilt.html
I wanted to imitate the above rhyme.

1 Like

I don’t know why Jack swallowed a fly…

1 Like

I recognized what you were doing immediately, Yutaka. I grew up on that story.
ColinJohnstone, for me it was an old lady who swallowed a fly. Is it Jack in the UK? Or are you sort of dropping that in here just because?

1 Like

It’s an old lady in the UK too.