Good day mate!

I friend of my family has joined us from Australia. It just occurred to me that it is kind of another language. I was wondering if you had any phrases I could try on the next time I see him. I want to show him I’m learning Ausie. Any resources would be appreciated too.

Well, no one ever says “Good day mate”!

You could start with saying “G’day mate!” instead of “Good day…”! Should sound something like “G-day mayt”! [like guh, but very shortened. And make sure the “mate” doesn’t sound like the “might” I hear Americans say :))

Also, ask him how he’s “going”, as opposed to doing. We say “How ya goin’ ?”

Update: check out Login - LingQ - Ben’s “Dig into English” podcast, which makes me smile so much! :slight_smile: You’ll get to hear aussie lingo in a male accent. I’m sure we sound like boguns/country bumpkins/rednecks to the rest of the world…! :slight_smile: But hey, Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi, Oi, Oi! :)~ [By the way, quit saying “Ossy” - It’s “Ozzy”!!]

1 Like

You might try listening to ABC radio sports programs and ABC regional radio on any topic. You’ll get some fair dinkum Aussie (double ‘ss’) lingo for sure!!

That’s my name! Don’t wear it out.

@aprendo - if it’s not crystal clear yet, G’day has nothing to do with wishing someone a good day, but rather G’day = hello :slight_smile:

Purely in the interest of linguistic research (not!) I watched the Aussie children’s series “Nowhere Boys”, great material for practising one’s contractions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If your visitors are young, they may not even understand some if the slang. My kids never used “Fair Dinkum” for example.
Fair dinkum is a good one though. It has many meanings depending on context but the easiest use might be instead of the word “honest” or “true” or “genuine”.
If you buy a round of drinks for a group we call it a “shout” as in, “it’s my shout”.
Gees, there are so many. I live in the UK now and I say things at work and I get blank looks. For example, “he doesn’t know Arthur from Martha” (which means he didn’t have a clue about whatever I was talking about).

1 Like

Login - LingQ gives me a four O four

I know what you mean! I was looking at some “Aussie lingo expression” sites, and I saw many natural expressions I use on a daily basis. I was like, “WHAT??! - you mean they’re COLLOQUIAL LINGO??!”

It made me wonder how much of what I communicate online is actually understood, haha!
eg. “I don’t know him from a bar of soap” or what-not.

If you ever get homesick, listen to Ben’s podcasts ~

If you want to learn about Australian English, I know an excellent TV show…

It’s so true! It like another language. They way they speak is so different. If you want to learn “Aussie”, I suggest you check out: shooterwilliamson - YouTube

He is a comedian from SA. One of my best subscription on youtube. so hilarious! 100% Australian English, swears a lot, too.

@ Colin - Groan… NOT Neighbours! Nooooo! Urggh! :)~

@ Edward - Quick! Someone pass me disinfectant to clean out my ears! The so-called “Aussie lingo” you hear is deliberately exaggerated to make himself sound like a bogun, and the novelty of acting like a dumb-arse quickly wears off…

I’m from SA, too. Sure there are some cheap laughs, but man, his material is so grose - the filthy language is way too much for my taste. Can’t imagine why one would wanna listen to toilet humour…( I listened to a handful). If he cut out the filth, I’m sure his humour would be more appreciated.

I meant Home and Away…

Fair Dinkum!

1 Like

that show sux even more! :slight_smile:

I know. I don’t think I ever got through an entire episode. All I remember is

“Closer each dayyyyyyy, home and awayyyyyy…”