Native English Speaker opinion needed (name for restaurant)

Hi,

I need honest opinion of native English speaker. I’m planning to start small restaurant with crepes. The whole decor theme is related to bicycles. I was thinking about „BikEat” name, like „Bike” and „Eat”.

Is it not awkward to mix those two words together like this? :slight_smile:
I will be grateful for all comments,
Ewa

Hey Ewa, some thoughts about this: BikEat would be kind of akward because “bik” by itself would be pronunced like “bick”, so the pun might get lost at first view. Also, if you want to open a crêpe-restaurant, why go with an English name and not a French one? Also, I don’t see any connection between bikes and crêpes. So maybe before you start naming, you want to rethink the concept a bit, so that it actually comes together as a complete picture. I hope this wasn’t too critical, but I was trying to think out of the perspective of a potential customer and this is what I thought. Best of luck to you with your exciting endeavour!

1 Like

I just googled “crêpe bretonne” and “tour de bretagne”. Crepes are very much associated with Brittany, and Brittany (Bretagne) has a bicycle race “tour de bretagne”. Why not call it " le tour des crêpes" with or without the accent.

3 Likes

“le tour des crêpes”

Oh man, that’s goooood.

They use Bulgar weed instead of normal flour. I’ve seen them make their crepes in action.

I am a native English speaker. I do not think the combination is “awkward.” I think the combination is original. If you would like the pronunciaiton to be Bike-Eat then on the marquee, menu and other promotional material consider writng the two words either in one line with a hyphen or in crossword puzzle style with Bike running from top to bottom and Eat running from left to right and in the crossword puzzle style using all the same case–all UPPER CASE LETTERS or lower case letters. Here are some other original combinations: Bicycle Eatery; Big Wheels Cafe; Bicycle Rest Stop; Cyclers Cafe; Bike First, Eat Second, etc.

Where will your restaurant be located? I assume in Poland? I am curious if you will be naming your restaurant in English or in Polish? Assuming you are trying to attract specifically the business of cyclists (maybe the location you are thinking of is very suitable for lots of bike traffic) you could certainly have something as simple as “Bike Eat”, or “bike-n-eat” (from a design perspective an all lower case sans serif font will lend itself nicely to the simple lines of a bicycle, minimal lines and circles), or you could say bike-eat-bike (though I plugged this in an English to Polish translator and in Polish “bike-eat-bike” looks like “rower rower -eat -”) I have no idea if that even makes sense in Polish, but food (or crepe) for thought. WINK.

BikEat is very much in tune with the names of small, cutting edge American eateries. I would go for it. I like Nia’s suggestion of using something like a crossword style of lettering to show clearly how you want the words to be understood.

Where are you opening the restaurant, who are your target clients, and what vibe/feel/ambience and experience do you want to create? The name needs to be attractive to the clientele by projecting a specific ambience or experience. Some market research would be a good idea.