Unimaginable in England, I think!

My just about 6-year old granddaughter has to buy a pocket knife to take to her German summer camp next week! She has to learn to whittle. A place after my own heart. I used to have a big “Fahrtenmesser” when I was just a little older.

Let’s just hope she’ll return with all her fingers and thumbs in the right place!

Which part is unimaginable in England? As far as I know, plenty of kids own pocket knifes. I don’t think many kids learn to whittle, and very few go to German summer camps.

Things were kind of different a few years back though: when I was at school there was (and I swear this is true) a dude who was rumoured to go around with a small butcher’s cleaver in his blazer pocket.

Nowadays you’d probably get sent to Camp X-Ray if they caught you doing that! (Instead of merely being expelled.)

[…]

EDIT

@ Colin: What an appalling lack of logic in my post :slight_smile: I should have stated that this summer camp is council-run and that my granddaughter lives in Germany.

I don’t think that it is all that common that 6-year olds are asked to bring a pocket knife, at least these days.