OS X

I am now watching CNN, and I found that the Apple developers conference is going to be held somewhere in the U. S. I happened to notice that the reporter pronounced OS X like OS EX. I think X should be pronounced “ten.” How do you pronounce I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX and X?

(Edited)

It’s pronounced Oh Es ten. You are correct. The Roman numbers are pronounced one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. Some people might just say X instead. I’m not sure why the reporter pronounced it as “ex.”

1 Like

I have never thought about it, but as far as I remember, it has always been pronounced OS X, with X sounding like ‘ecks’. I don’t think I have ever heard OS ten.

1 Like

I think maybe it can go either way- I have always said OS ten.

My chemistry students call question 1 (a) (iii) one a little ey ey ey. They appear to not know what Roman numbers are or how they work. Of course, it shoule be spoken as 1 ay 3 - though I don’t know how to spell letter names in English.

“Louis XIV of France” is pronounced “Louis the Fourteenth of France”.
Am I right?

Yes, you are correct. Henry VIII- Henry the eighth.

Well that doesn’t mean you have to call it OS ten. The funny pronounciation of X could easily be a marketing ploy by Apple. However, this turns out not to be true. I just looked at a couple of Apple promotional videos on YouTube (e.g. Apple introduces mac OS X Maverick's at WWDC - YouTube), and they call it ‘OS ten’ and not ‘OS ecks’.

My brother, who used to work for Apple, insisted it was called “OS Ten”. I still call it “OS Ex” though. If you say “OS Ten” to the average person, they probably won’t know what you’re talking about. If you say “OS Ex” I think they’d be more likely to recognize you’re speaking about the Mac OS.