Everyone wants a shortcut

Something I keep seeing over and over…and over in the language learning community across the internet is “What’s your secret to language learning?” or “Shortcuts to language learning” or blah blah blah. I mean don’t get me wrong there are definitely wrong ways to learn and right ways to learn, that is rather obvious but shortcuts and secret keys? I’m just a bit fed up with this generation of people that want to bypass everything to the end game. This lazy generation of people who would rather spend more time trying to find this nonexistent key to language learning than actually learning!

I think with technology among other factors this generation of “fast fast fast” has spoiled people. Somethings simply take time, and something like language learning takes a good bit of it. Patience is a virtue and all I can think of when I see these people who want it all now with no effort is a spoiled little child who hasn’t the slightest clue of what discipline is. Ah, just a rant, I think I just needed to vent a bit. I’m sure a lot of you have seen plenty of this so share your thoughts, Do you think there are shortcuts or “magic keys” to language learning?

4 Likes

I guess people who keep trying to find ‘secrets’ and ‘shortcuts’ are not having enough fun and/or are too preoccupied with the concept of progress. The “secret” to successful language learning is to just chill out and enjoy the learning process.^^

“I think with technology among other factors this generation of “fast fast fast” has spoiled people.”
On the other hand, without technology, I would speak precisely one language. :wink:

It sounds like: “Getting slim in a week”, or: “Manipulate others without hurting anyone”

You are doing it all wrong, and you are far too pessimistic, everyone can be fluent in 14.7 weeks. Your views are just holding back other people and you should be quiet about it.

If you buy my new e-book: “Megalomania in around 4 months”, you will see the fallacy of your views, and why I am always right.

By the way, even my new girlfriend learnt to read Swahili in two weeks. So there.

2 Likes

@iaing It is nice to meet someone so modest, you could have gone for “… in around 3 months”.

"[T]here are definitely wrong ways to learn and right ways to learn, that is rather obvious but shortcuts and secret keys?‘’
In general, I agree with the above comment.
Some learners choose ways that are relatively wrong and others take relatively right ways. Nobody seems to know the “secret key” completely. Speaking of “shortcuts,” everybody has their own destination as well as their own starting point. One must find their own right way by themselves.

(Edited)

Yes, finding one’s own way is the real challenge, I believe. Knowledge of what is available, feasible and doable certainly helps, as long as the search for these ‘keys’ does not detract from the actual learning of our language(s) of choice.

there is no shortcut…ı am studying english since 4th grade:)But still ı am not very good at speakıng.day by day there are new vocabs ın englısh.You cant learn a language exactly.Because language is alive like us!

logan5201 is right: it’s sad that people want to cut straight to the destination, without enjoying the journey. But that’s life, and to be honest, I don’t mind the claims for rapid language learning. What I am surprised at is how upset people get about them and how seriously they take them. Every week I buy washing powder that washes whiter than white, eat yoghurt that will improve my immune system and ride buses operated by a company that is apparently working just for me, if I am to believe all the marketing hype. I don’t see many people complaining about those slogans and their literal implications. We just take them with a pinch of salt because we know they’re trying to sell us something.

Why is language learning any different? If someone tells me I can be fluent in a language in 90 days with such-and-such a method, then I’m a bit skeptical that that will really happen. However, if I’m looking for some new ideas about how to learn a language, then that sounds like a good place to start. I’ll take what works for me and leave the rest. It sounds like a lot of people on this forum have a good and practical attitude to language learning, so it’s a bit strange that these fast-track claims are being debated as if they were some kind of accountable guarantee, not a marketing ploy or brand.