Taking a Break From Language Learning

Hey guys, I was wanting to hear from people who have purposely taken a break from language learning for say a week or two, and wanting to know if people think that it can help in the long run? I’ve heard about coming back to something with a fresh mind and all that, so I wanted to see if anyone has had this experience?

Recently in my language learning, in an attempt to really crack on and try and completely throw myself into both of the languages i’m learning, I’ve started to feel rather overwhelmed and disenchanted. Especially with Spanish given the little progress I am making. And so for the first time in about 3 years I have decided to take a week break from it all, and just do nothing to do with languages. Any advice or opinion on this?

I think you´re not having enough fun. Why would you want to take a break from something that´s fun? Watch youtube or play video games, do your hobby in Spanish…do something that´s fun. No fun, no good.

You want to “take a break from it all”? What the heck are you doing?`Are you torturing yourself or are you learning a language? I recommend reading this blog, or at least the posts about “intermediate angst”.

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/?s=intermediate+angst

1 Like

I agree, if’s it not fun you’re doing something wrong.

@Paule89 thanks, I will have a look at that article. I understand what you’re saying about that fact it should be enjoyable, and shouldn’t feel like it’s a chore. But that’s why I felt like I needed to take a break. Alot of the enjoyment comes for me from seeing progress and the challenge itself, so naturally seeing a lack of progress, or having these uncertainties, or not getting what I want from it leaves me feeling rather jaded and lacking enjoyment or desire to continue it.

I know many people say “it’s all about the journey and not the destination” … you at least want to know where you are going, and if you’re heading towards the right destination. There’s been times in the past where I’ve really enjoyed the process before realising perhaps I haven’t actually made the desired progress, then doubting whether even though I was enjoying it, if it actually did anything for me.

I really can’t get on board with the whole “Just relax and enjoy it” approach, because it’s certainly possible to enjoy doing certain things without actually making any progress. I just wanted to know if anyone else had taken a break from it before and it was beneficial for them.

1 Like

@Corin I’ve taken a month long break before. Worked wonders for me. There’s no shame in it. Learning languages is something I’ll always come back to because I enjoy the process and the results. Doesn’t mean my motivation doesn’t fluctuate at times. If you’re forcing yourself to do something you used to love doing, it’s probably time for a short break. You’ll be back.

3 Likes

“Alot of the enjoyment comes for me from seeing progress…”

I guess there are 3 reasons for “not seeing progress”

1. You´re not measuring your progress, you´re feeling it. If your amount of “known words” goes up, that´s tangible progress.
  2. You´re not making progress because you´re not doing anything.
  3. You´re already at a high level, which makes progress hard to detect. Learning words like “I” and “you” as a beginner feels like progress (because you see them all the time, thinking “I used to not know that”), learning “tailbone” or “cilia” will probably feel less “progressy”…

Measure your progress, don´t “do nothing”, realize that “not seeing progress” might be a result of “already being pretty good”.
If someone who has 10€ earns 10€ euros, he´ll “feel like making progress”, I mean…he has 100% more money than before.
If a millionaire earns 10€, he won´t even notice because his fortune has increased by only 0,01%. Maybe you´re already too wealthy to appreciate money like you used to :wink:

“I really can’t get on board with the whole “Just relax and enjoy it” approach, because it’s certainly possible to enjoy doing certain things without actually making any progress.”

Maybe, but learning languages is not one of these things. Every word you read/hear/say/write is progress. I went from “average school English” to whatever level I am at right now without studying English. I just did fun stuff in English → for thousands of hours.

I did the same thing with French. I remember watching “The Walking Dead” after studying French for 6 months or so and only getting the gist of it, then (after 2 or 3 months) I re-watched the first season and I was like “I understand a lot more and all I did was playing video games and watching south park!”. Well, that´s not ALL I did. I admit looking up words from time to time.

Now I´m a sucky beginner at Japanese and I really enjoy it. It´s like being a child again…drawing pictures, listening to music, singing songs, watching cartoons…

“…perhaps I haven’t actually made the desired progress, then doubting whether even though I was enjoying it, if it actually did anything for me.”

Perhaps…the desired progress…doubting…if it actually did anything for me…so much uncertainty in one single sentence. You don´t know if you made progress, so don´t put yourself down for maybe-not-making-the-desired-progress.

You know that you enjoyed it, so that´s good.^^

“I just wanted to know if anyone else had taken a break from it before and it was beneficial for them.”

I think you´re having problems that won´t be solved by taking a break. If you insist on taking a break, spend the time you´d normally spend on language learning on reading alljapaneseallthetime instead. It was written for learners of japanese, but most posts apply to all languages and many of them have to do with feeling sucky, not seeing progress, lacking motivation, lacking confidence, not having enough fun and all that. Japanese is an insanely intimidating language and takes a long time to master , so the articles about “the mental aspects of language learning” are pretty good.^^

2 Likes

edit

I have been taking a long break from learning German. Something like 6-8 months. Instead of making any attempt to actually learn German, with lessons and flashcards and grammar study and whatnot, I have just spent time reading books, listening to the radio while at work, and watching TV and movies. It has felt like I have made no progress, but this is not true at all. Every once in a while, I get a little measure of my progress. For example, about five months ago, I signed up for this website that one can watch TV shows and movies on. Kinda like Netflix for Austria. I remember having huge difficulty setting it up with my bank account and was completely unable to set up the age confirmation stuff so I could watch all those violent Arnie movies. It was all in German and I could barely understand the instructions. I didn’t use it in the end, and cancelled my subscription, but a few weeks ago, I got fast internet at home, so I signed up again. This time, it was easy. The age confirmation stuff took me a few minutes. Sometimes the important progress if barely noticable.

I never need to take any break while learning any language, it’s my passion and I have never felt to pause my hobby.

@Corin_Wright: I’m with @kcb and @Colin_J on this one. From time to time I take a sort-of-break from languages and when I return to them in ’ work mode’ something has shifted, the language is clearer. The brain doesn’t stop making connections just because we are not studying ‘properly’. Reading, listening, watching or simply thinking about the language is all grit to the mill. There’s a lot of background work going on while we “rest”!

4 Likes

I agree with Sanne T. I also have experience from taking a break, about 2 month with no russian at all, and then returning, just to discover that I’m better (maybe a little rusty at first). I don’t really know how it works, but it does. Maybe the working memory need to restart once in a while…

I think the main reason you might notice progress after taking a break might simply be due to the fact that it’s not as gradual that way. Your brain is processing information in the background in either case, but if you’re not constantly checking in, you’ve ‘processed’ more since you last ‘studied’ and therefore it seems like a bigger improvement.
I mean, I don’t know much about neurology, but that’s my take on it.^^

Either way…
I completely agree with Paul and the ajatt lifestyle. If you’re wanting to take a break, you’re not having enough fun. Go do fun things. In Spanish.^^

"I know many people say “it’s all about the journey and not the destination” … you at least want to know where you are going, and if you’re heading towards the right destination. "

What IS the destination? You’ll never be finished learning a language. You’re not even finished learning your native language. The journey IS the destination.^^

I’m thinking of taking a break after the 90 day challenge. Not because i particularly want too, but I actually find it helps. I tend to find my mind is fresher and stronger after a break and what I have learnt has had time to sink in. Like an athlete’s muscles, i find my brain is better for a rest.

1 Like

Thanks for all the input guys. I do read it all! I’ve had a two week break from it all now, and tomorrow im going to get back into it, taking it nice and slowly. Think I will do one day of my spanish and then one day of my portuguese, as I think trying to cram it all in before was making me rush it, and in part contributed to the feeling of being overwhelmed. I think im ready to “just keep going” as they say. thanks guys :slight_smile:

1 Like