It looks like you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Sorry, we only support IE 10 and above. To use the site you will need to use a more up to date browser. We strongly recommend you upgrade to:

Go to page: « 1 2 3

From what I remember it goes something like this. Bench/Press alternating. I see no need for you to do power cleans give your injury and training history as well as goals.

Monday:
Squat - 3x5
Bench/Press - 3x5
DB Rows/Pullups - 4x8-15
Rear Delts - 4x10-20
Biceps
Triceps
Abs

Wednesday:
Squat - 3x5
Bench/Press - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
DB Rows/Pullups - 4x8-15
Rear Delts
Abs

Friday:
Squat - 3x5
Bench/Press - 3x5
DB Rows/Pullups - 4x8-12
Rear Delts
Biceps/Triceps
Abs

Edit: I wouldn't worry about modifying a program for your needs, provided it fits your goals and there is a reason for it. The most important thing is you are following the PRINCIPLES of the program.

Yeah that looks pretty solid. I was even looking at Jason Blaha's"Icecream Fitness" 5x5, which you may or may not have heard of:

http://bit.ly/19uRA9M

Only problems are I can't really afford one of those hyperextension contraptions at the moment, and I won't have access to cables.

The idea of power cleans is rather appealing to me, even though it's not really suited to a strictly hypertrophy-focused program. When I get everything set up next week, I'll only have access to a barbell and minimal dumbbell weights, and I pretty much plan to keep it that way. When I was at the gym, I had access to so much crap that it was difficult to resist the temptation to incorporate everything. By sticking primarily with a barbell, I can focus on a more minimalist, meat-and-potatoes type of routine and actually make some progress this year.

I've pretty much become "that dude" who goes to the gym several times a week, but never gets anywhere. And despite the fact that I keep going, it can get pretty demotivating. I think a really simple, strength-based routine like SS, or even Icecreamfitness 5x5 or the one you designed just now, would be the best plan forward.

I'm hopefully setting up shop this Saturday or Sunday in my grandfather's garage now since the quotes I got for a shed were between $7000-13,000. Hilariously overbudget.

ad ARay: Thank you for your detailed description. I really appreciate it. You sure sound like someone who knows what he is talking about.

P.S. You are studying German, right? So, maybe one day we can talk about all this in German just to practise your language skills.

@Chris: I have not heard of Jason Blaha. I gave it a quick look and it certainly seems to be a decent 5x5 type program. Rippetoe, Windler, Louie Simmons, the guy under the bridge (or youtube) pedaling his routine, are not the Gods of training. Don't get too caught up in in doing one particular thing. Don't over think it. There are many ways to get stronger. Essentially all solid strength routines boil down to this. Focus on the major barbell lifts, follow a logical progression to lift progressively heavier loads. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. Develop a plan for your goals, follow through with that plan, reassess, learn.

"..I've pretty much become "that dude" who goes to the gym several times a week, but never gets anywhere. And despite the fact that I keep going, it can get pretty demotivating.."

Nip this type of negative thinking in the bud now! Get your attitude right and expect more from yourself. Your mindset can make all the difference between getting crushed by a weight and smoking it. My suggestion is pick a program and establish goals for a 12 week period. I would recommend just picking Rippetoe's routine or either of the similar 5x5 type programs. COMMIT to it and attack that program day in and day out out 12 weeks. Provided you have specific and realistic (you're not going to be squatting 5 plates 12 weeks from now) goals and follow through with your program consistently, you will be satisfied with your progress. Get after it bud! I'm happy to help you set this up if you'd like.

lovelanguageslll: Das wäre prima, aber ich glaube, mein Deutsch ist noch nicht sehr gut. Ich lerne täglich, so vielleicht können wir nach ein paar Monate (Monaten?) in Deutsch reden, wenn mein Deutsch besser ist!

ad ARay: (...) ... Das wäre prima, aber ich glaube, mein Deutsch ist noch nicht sehr gut. Ich lerne täglich, so vielleicht können wir nach ein paar Monate (Monaten?) in Deutsch reden, wenn mein Deutsch besser ist! (...)

Hut ab! Dein Deutsch klingt bereits jetzt ausgezeichnet. Ich bin sehr beeindruckt.

(...) ....vielleicht können wir nach ein paar Monaten ....(...)

Go to page: « 1 2 3

To comment login or sign up for a free account