What type of text has the greatest variety in vocabulary?

Hey guys, was just wondering about this as recently with my spanish everything i’ve been reading and studying have pretty much all been news articles. I was just wondering if only reading New Articles may restrict the amount of new vocabulary you expose yourself to, as certain terms used come up an awful lot. if so, what type of texts have more of a variety in terms of vocabulary. some ideas here would be interesting :slight_smile:

Scientific articles, news etc. are likely to have a fair share of international vocabulary, so despite the “advanced level”, they can be easier to understand than a random book for children.

I currently prefer to use texts from the LingQ library which are in different categories.

Besides the LingQ library that Ninche suggests, you could try browsing the Spanish Wikipedia for items of interest. The articles there might be useful for vocabulary development, and they might link to other interesting sources off-site, too. Its url is

thanks for the suggestions guys, I was more interested in seeing if you guy think only reading news articles would limit your vocabulary compared to someone who say only read books of fiction.

Hard to say for sure, but I would guess somebody learning Spanish would meet a wider variety of vocabulary by reading all the novels and stories of say, Gabriel García Márquez and Isabel Allende, than by reading only news articles. To go a bit beyond the limits of your question, in my opinion, since the advent of Borges up to the present day there has been a huge outpouring of quality fiction in Spanish from both Spanish America and Spain.

What are your tastes in fiction?

Game of thrones would be exactly up my street in terms of what im into. all though, when it comes to reading this in another language…well i hear even spanish natives find it difficult to understand the spanish translation :stuck_out_tongue: But I really enjoy the genre of Fantasy.

@donhamiltontx

You gave me an idea to bookmark English and French Wikipedia. :slight_smile:

I want also to say that I like to watch movies in English without subtitles and to watch French movies with English subtitles, because I am getting used to the language by listening to French even without understanding much of what is spoken and I like the sound of the language, too. I also like to listen to the music in my target languages (English and French).

@Corin_Wright

I would head to a library or to a bookstore carrying books in Spanish and browse around. Look for Spanish translations of other books in English you think you would enjoy. I would not be put off by other people’s reactions to the Spanish translation of “Game of Thrones.” Pick up a copy and see for yourself. You have an understanding of the book that maybe Spanish natives do not.

Frankly, looking this over, my advice seems pretty lame and nothing you probably haven’t tried yourself. But there it is.

@Ninche

Wikipedia sites in other languages can be useful. There is even a version in Latin!

I have read and listened to the German translation of Game of Thrones, and I thought it was was excellent. The audiobook has the best voice I have ever heard. One of the big advantages of it is that’s the chapters are very short. I hope to read some of the other books in this series.

Novels certainly have a great variety. Blogs can be good too, although most of them aren’t (Sturgeon’s law: ninety percent of everything is crap), but you only have to find one good blogger who posts regularly.

1 Like

Good point, Anz! Here’s a great bibliophilic blogger: EsmeButterfly, http://fly-like-a-butterfly.blogspot.com/