Russian made Easy

Who would be more Russian and more facile to understand than Putin, on youtube, on google chrome, on half speed с текстами (albeit somwhat innacurt ) ? ШОК! Путин сказал Украине НЕТ!, СЕГОДНЯ - YouTube there ya go, get your fix of politics. In what videos can we do the speed thing and the subtitle thing simultaneously?

2 Likes

also, when your ears are conformed, crank up the speed and train your frontal lobe to decipher at a high rate. I haven’t tried this with foreign language yet but listening to English at X2 is fun, and when you accustom yourself to high speed your brain will be able to think while listening, as a result you become a high speed intellectual. That’s my theory.

Putin does speak at a nice rate for reading along. Here is link to his three hour conference last month. Putin starts his speech at about 18 minutes into this video (with transcript provided by RT на русском).

Ежегодная пресс-конференция Владимира Путина 18 декабря 2014 года Оригинал новости RT на русском:

Just video on YouTube

2 Likes

огромная спасибо. эта что-то мне нужно. путин очен интересно характер. я не могу зказать если он ангел или демон.

1 Like

Hi ! =))

огромнОЕ спасибо - the word ‘spasibo’ in itself is of neutral gender, strangely enough, that’s why the dependend adjective has also a neutral gender ending (nominative singular).

этО то, что мне нужно - the word ‘to’ implying ‘the very thing’ is also of neutral gender, as it’s an equivalent of a notion, and notion just doesn’t have any gender in this case! =))

‘this is what I need’ that’s the way it’s normally said in Russian, nearly word-for-word; the word ‘chto-to’ renders just the opposite notion in Russian, i.e. ‘something’ i.e. just anything, mostly indefinite! :wink:

оченЬ - it’s an adverb and it never changes its form, it’s always written like this, regardless any tense, number, conjugation, whatever! :wink:

Because Putin is a male, the dependend adjective should also be in masculine, i.e. интереснЫЙ, as ‘interesno’ is just an adverb, never changing its form as I said earlier; cf.: ‘it’s interesting’ vs. ‘he is an interesting person’ ! :wink:

Характер - человек, when the Russian word ‘kharakter’ is used it normally implies ‘the personal traits’ whereas in this case it would be just ‘человек’ i.e. ‘a person, or individual’.

(мне) трудно сказать - ‘(for me) it’s hard to tell’ - when you say in Russian “я не могу Сказать”, it partially implies that somebody else precludes you from telling, not that it’s at your sole discretion! :wink: Notice, you may easily drop this ‘I’ or ‘me’ without any loss of meaning! :wink: Notice also, that this is just a MORE natural way to say, i.e. you may also say “Не могу сказать, ангел он или демон”, but most Russians in this case would say, “Трудно сказать, ангел он или демон” :wink:

And this ‘если’ - it’s a real pain in the neck for both Russian and English learners! =))) We normally use an equivalent of the word ‘whether’, i.e. “ли”, as the word “если” in Russian has only one meaning, implying conditional clause, i.e. ‘on condition that’ ! =))) You have to always remember about this as this is the most often encountered mistake! =)))

I do know it’s the word ‘if’ that causes all this confusion! =))))

3 Likes

Usually, it seems, things turns out better for me, if I don´t think. Thats my theory…

господи, я без малого три месяца потратил, чтобы убрать это поганое “если” из своей речи после того, как мне говорили что надо говорить “ли”!

1 Like

Привет! =)))

Точно! =)) А у нас, с родным русским, прямо противоположная проблема: мы очень долго не можем привыкнуть, что в английском можно использовать и “если” и “ли”, т.е. “if” и в случае выражения условия, и в случае вопроса! :wink:

я только хотел показать что я могу печатать без переводчика. ну, не могу. lol.

1 Like

Привет! =))

Да, точно, можете! =)) Я же все правильно понял! =))) А остальные детали - это практика нужна! :wink:

Wow! =))

There are two different versions of your reply here that I’ve received! =)))

Another version has this question about superfluos “ли” ! =))) The answer is Yes and No ! =)))

In this particular sentence you may just drop this “if” completely! =)) But for this “if” to become necessary you have to restructure the sentence, like this, “Я не могу сказать, является ЛИ он ангелом или демоном”. Of course, it’s a bit more of a bookish style, though! :wink:

За все нужна практика =)

1 Like

Hi ! =)))

Yeah, true that! =))) Literally, it should be like, “Practice is required IN everything!” :wink:

1 Like

Я согласный :smiley:

1 Like

Hi ! =))

Yeah, it’s absolutely understandable, but it would be much more natural to use the shortened form of this verb instead of the adjectival one, because it’s a predicate of the sentence, not an adjective modifying any noun! :wink: It sounds nearly in the same way as the difference between “I agree” and “I am agree” for an English speaker, the second one being a mistake, of course! :wink: That’s why it’s much more preferrable to use “Я согласен” =))

1 Like

Hi, thank you so much for the tip! I’m trying to improve my writing skills

1 Like

And you are making quite a good progress, I should say! :wink: It’s just a matter of practice and habit, mostly! =))) Eventually, it will become just your second nature, to the point that it will be very easy to say, “Ah, I heard this phrase version very many times already, hence, this is how the correct version should look or sound like!” =))

1 Like

Большое спасибо!

Я люблю смотреть мультики. Я так думаю, гораздо быстрее язык обучения.

Например: Loading...

1 Like

Surely yes, no doubt! =))) By the way, watched the opening of this cartoon, yeah, no doubt, the dubbing quality is really very high, I mean the quality of the Russian used! :wink:

I would rather say, “… гораздо быстрее язык выучу.” … “… I will learn the language way faster.” =)))

“Выучу” is the future tense in the perfective form, the corresponding infinitve is “выучить”.

1 Like

Can you recommend me some good grammar lessons / courses?

1 Like