How to change a word back to blue

It would be really useful to revert a word to blue. How can I do this?

Unfortunately, once you have done something with a new word to make it not a new word, such as setting it to known or making a LingQ out of it, you cannot make it a proper new word again. You can make it temporarily a new word by selecting it, and then you can do all the normal stuff with it that you can do with genuine new words.

Meant to mark a blue word as known (k) once but ignored it (x) instead while x-ing out many falsely recognized words (big problem in Chinese) too fast, and it seems re-highlighting it to mark it as known doesn’t add it to known word statistics. That word is just gone…

1 Like

It seems you are right (as always). It’s a pain. You can make it a LingQ and then set it to known, but once you have interacted with a word, you can never make it a proper known word.

1 Like

Okay, is there any channel other than here to formally request this feature? Seems like it would easy to implement, if enough users required it

You can post on the forum to ask for the feature, but I don’t think this is one they plan to implement. We have discussed it before on here.

So I presume it’s deliberate then. Am I misusing or misunderstanding the method?

If I have no idea what a word is, and I want to look it up in the dictionary within lingq, it turns yellow, but if i want to leave it unknown, this is impossible.

So if I want to leave a word blue, I can’t interact in any way. I have to look it up offsite.

Am I using it wrong? My method is to keep blue words as ‘very unknown’, and yellow words for those I am learning .

In my opinion, the method is this…

When you come across a blue word, either you know it or not. If you know it then mark is as known. If don’t know it, then make it a lingQ (yellow). Eventually you will come to know your lingQ’s after which you will mark them as known (underlined).

Don’t forget that you can LingQ phrases not only single words.

The problem arises when people want to cheat the system because the trial period has a hard limit of XX lingQ’s. So some people don’t want to create lingQ’s.

The way to learn with this system is to create a lot of LingQ’s. Create a lot of LingQ’s!

I hope this helps.

My problem, is I like to read long form (easy novels) on ling q.

It’s nice to be able to read the novel, skipping through the blue words for translations, and just letting the yellow words drift by without checking each one unless I choose to. I have a basic idea of what the yellow words mean, and I don’t want to press the right arrow key for every single yellow word - I would aquire RSI very quickly.

I can see how, if I was reading closely and deeply, your method would be correct, but for an hours reading, where a majority of the words are yellow, it doesn’t quite work.

It’s not a huge deal. Just a thought. Perhaps once I learn more words, it will make more sense to use yellow only.

As pmilone says, the idea is to create LingQs for every word you don’t know. If you want to have different types of word highlighting, use the different statuses to change the shade of yellow or to show the word with an underline only (status 4). Blue words are meant to indicate New words to you.

I want to know too.

ah, i have just discovered the ‘turn quick lingq off’ button which solves my problem nicely. I can’t imagine scrolling through blue words separately, so this is very welcome.

however, two new problems …

1. the auto scroll has broken. i dont understand why stopping autoscroll is neccessary.

2. turning a blue word to yellow causes, doesn’t go to the next word, but rather stays put. which is weird.

I have the same request, sometimes when I come accross a word that I want to ignore, I clic on X, but when the site is not responsive, nothing append and if I clic again, then suddenly , the site finally react and ignore the word … AND the next word (as I clicked twice)
I didn’t find a way to revert it.

The two items you note are part of the manual mode, which is activated when you disable Quick LingQ mode. You can learn more about this here: http://lingqcentral-en.lingq.com/new-forum-ui-manual-lesson-mode-keyboard-shortcuts-90-day-challenge