Option to receive Frequency/Most Important Top 25, 50, 100, 200 LingQ'd words by email

@kimojima - Thanks for the suggestion. I’m not sure we’ll be making any immediate changes to the LingQs of the Day email, as the LingQs of the Day is tightly knit with our SRS system. In addition, the issue we had before was that the LingQs of the Day email would often be the same day after day if you didn’t review it. This was a regular complaint from our members. With the SRS system, the list of LingQs in the email is now much more dynamic than what we had before. You can still achieve what you mention above by going to the Vocabulary page, selecting the status of words you would like to review, then sorting by “Importance”.

@kimojima - Sounds like you’re making some great progress with your languages :slight_smile:

We too are much happier with the new payment system, and using a platform like Recurly allows us to spend more development time on other parts of the site while they worry about payment issues!

@kimojima - When we next update the Vocabulary page, we are hoping to make some additional improvements that will give members more control over the sorting and filtering of their LingQs. We’ll see what we can work in with regards to importance!

Regarding filtering of vocabulary based on importance of words. I’ve currently got about 5600 Russian words in my vocabulary which I don’t know ( according to LingQ) , about 98% of which are one-star words and the rest nearly all two-star words.
A lot of the one-star words are still important and it would be great if the filtering could be modified to give a more gradual grading of the frequency. Then I could focus on the more important of my unknown words. It seems like there is too steep a grading between one and two star words so that once you have done quite a lot of reading, filtering on importance doesn’t really help. It would also be interesting to know what actual frequency is associated with each of the one to four star importance words.

2 Likes

@Martin88 - Because Russian has so many different forms of each word, the number of total words in the language is significantly higher than say French or Spanish. This causes some issues when calculating priority, as not all forms of a word will be given the same priority level.

In the shorter term, what I might recommend is using tags with your LingQs. You can tag terms that are more common with the tag “important”, then you can review LingQs from that tagged list. While not automatic, this should still allow you to organize your LingQs better when reviewing them.

Alex, thanks for that tip. I tried using the tags and gave my own rating of stars to my important words . Then I used the sorting feature on tags with stars to create my own list of tagged words. I like to do the flashcards and at least get a first pass at learning the most useful words. Otherwise I can read for ages until I come across some words again. So I’ll get tagging!

1 Like