It looks like you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Sorry, we only support IE 10 and above. To use the site you will need to use a more up to date browser. We strongly recommend you upgrade to:

Two observations about the Exchange.

Go to page: « 1 2 3 4 5

Well, I'll just repeat what I said above:

"How can a learner of a language evaluate the accuracy of corrections for a language with which they may or may not be familiar?"

Your position is apparently that it does not matter if a learner with low language ability is swindled into paying for poor quality learning materials.

Presumably a person requesting a correction will do so more than once. On each occasion they will see at least one, and often more than one translation. Going over these different translations is good training. Others cannot also comment on inappropriate corrections. I think the whole process is beneficial to the learner, and to other learners, regardless of level.

If the learner wants, he or she can specifically designate a native speaker tutor as the corrector.

I don't really see a problem here. I like the dynamic of many correctors.

In my case, when selecting whom to pay, since I would prefer a native speaker corrector, I would not pay for a non-native. I recognize , however, that there are some native speakers who are poor correctors, and some non-natives who might be excellent.

@Steve
"Presumably a person requesting a correction will do so more than once. On each occasion they will see at least one, and often more than one translation. Going over these different translations is good training. Others cannot also comment on inappropriate corrections. I think the whole process is beneficial to the learner, and to other learners, regardless of level."

I cannot tell if your point applies to translations, corrections, or to both. In general, I think that multiple corrections - some good, some poor - will result in nothing but confusion on the part of the inexperienced learner.

It seems to me that you are assuming the learner is as experienced as you are. You have the ability to recognize errors even in languages you speak poorly. I, for one, cannot.

No that is not what I am saying,David. I am saying that the process, despite some imperfections, works fine. A learner can designate a native speaker if that is desired, but on the whole benefits from the open exchange which is more flexible and where a variety of input is obtained. This much better than the previous set up where learners often had to wait a long time for corrections, and often received poor corrections even from native speakers.

The odd incorrect correction will have little effect on the learner. With the proper response from others on the exchange, the learners will orient themselves to the correctors they prefer.

Remember, it is the process of interacting with the language, in many different ways, that leads to progress in the language. A single corrected text is quickly forgotten and has little impact, even one that is flawless.

A single badly corrected text that costs three and a half bucks every hundred words does not a good deal make, even if the errors are quickly forgotten.

My point is not the amount of money, it is that money is being paid at all. This would be fine if there were a guarantee to good quality.

People can pay what they want. There is no guarantee that the corrector will be paid as I understand it.

"There is no guarantee that the corrector will be paid as I understand it."

That's a whole 'notha problem.

It was suggested by Mikebond to make payment automatic, as in the old system. I'd have to agree with him. That is, only if there is some kind of guarantee of quality, or rather a safeguard, available.

Vera has made some interesting points on this topic, too.

This topic seems to be going round in circles. If you want a particular person to correct your work, ask him or her.
If you want to correct an open request, do so if you want to, native speaker or not.
If you see a poor correction on the Exchange, correct the correction if
you feel strongly enough about it.
If you receive corrections and you don't know how to deal with them, you could put together a version you think would be alright, and re-submit.
If you want to receive all the points for a correction, perhaps the Exchange is not the place to look.

Go to page: « 1 2 3 4 5

To comment login or sign up for a free account