Problems highlighting 2 words

This has been a problem for a while, but I’ve just been too lazy to report it. Sometimes, if I highlight 2 or more words while reading an article, the mouse-over and link creation gets disabled. I think this only happens when one of the words is blue, and it doesn’t always happen. Just sometimes. The work around I do is to close the page and re-load it. I don’t know if it makes a difference, but I’m using Mac OS X, and safari.

Some changes are to be included in tomorrow’s update that should resolve this, so please let us know if you still have the same problem after the update is pushed.

I have the same problem using Firefox and either Linux or Windows 7.

If I want to highlight two or more words, and if one (or more) of the words are highlighted in blue, I hover the mouse over the blue highlighted word(s) and either (a) find a definition of the word so that it turns yellow or (b) click on the X to get rid of the highlighting altogether.

Then I go on and highlight the words I want.

Sometimes–even when none of the words has been highlighted before–I find it more effective to place the cursor after the first letter of the first word that I want to highlight and drag it to before the last letter of the last word I want to highlight.

Hope this is clear, and hope it helps.

@Alex

We posted at the same time. I’ll also report on whether Tuesday’s update resolves this issue.

FYI - having the same problem with the new version.

Follow-up to my post above at September 03, 2012, 01:53PM:

Using Linux and Firefox 14.0.1, I was able to highlight a couple of two-word phrases and one very long (10+ words) without difficulties.

@donhamiltontx - Glad to hear it’s working properly for you now. I also don’t seem to be having this problem.

@Wulfgar - Are you still experiencing this? If so, would you be able to take a quick screencast (you can use Jing: Screen Capture Software | Snagit | TechSmith) ?

@alex - page not found

Try again, formatting error in my post :stuck_out_tongue:

hmmm…download and learn how to use new software to report a bug? I’ll consider it next time I have this problem.

I am unable to highlight 2+ words in explorer but I can in firefox. I sent you a screenshot.

Yeah, it’s pretty much as it was before. It only happens sometimes, and becomes more likely the more often I highlight. I might be able to reproduce it, but I invite an admin to use Mac OS X with Safari and highlight 2 or more words again and again until it breaks. I recommend doing this to Russian, Chinese or Japanese, since I remember having this issue in those languages.

I normally use Chrome. I just opened Safari in response to your problem, and LingQed a bunch of two word and longer phrases in Czech, Russian and Chinese. I did encounter two sticky LingQs in one Czech lesson. The occasional sticky LingQ is a known issue and we will get to it.

Otherwise I had no problems. I wonder if any other users in Chrome on Mac have this problem. Please let us know.

Could you test to see if you experience the same problem in Chrome or FF. If not you may want to use another browser for now until we resolve the remaining problems, and that may also resolve your problem.

Only happens in Windows FireFox 15.0.1 when I try to make a link out of multiple words that already contain a unknown or known linqQ. Most times a refresh (F5) will solve the problem and in some cases clearing the cache solves the problem. There have been a few cases where the lingQ is totally rejected and usually due to the fact that a word (or words) that I’m trying to link used to be a LingQ that I decided to delete. FYI, this used to cause an object error but no longer.

Ok. We’ll keep a lookout for this issue to see if we can find anything there.

There is no way to create a new lingQ out of multiple words if the first word of the new LingQ is already a known or unknown LingQ.
(FireFox 16.0.2)

@pmilone - I gave this a try but wasn’t able to replicate this issue. Can you give me an example of a lesson and phrase where this occurs?

Hi,

is this thread about how to create LingQs that consist of more than one word? (I’m not sure what you mean by “highlighting”).

If I understood the topic correctly, I unfortunately have to tell, that this doesn’t work at all for me :frowning: Sometimes when I click on a yellow marked word I receive a suggestion for longer expressions in the right part of the screen. I can select one of them and will find those words framed in red color in the text. But sometimes, the frame does not cover exactly the same group of words that was suggested, but one word more or less. I could not figure out, why this happens sometimes.

If there is no suggestion for a more-than-one-word-expression available, I have not found a possibility to connect two ore more words to one LingQ manually. Could that be a problem of my (unfortunately a bit older) operating system and browser version?

Regards from Germany :slight_smile:
Kathi

I’m not sure if I’m experiencing the same issue but if I am I might be able to shed some light on this that will allow you to replicate the issue…

This doesn’t seem to happen all the time but when it does happen, it happens consistently for the words involved. The most recent example I’ve run into is trying to combine とはいえ into one word. Currently when I see this in a lesson it is displayed as two words: 「とは」and 「いえ」. But actually I have created individual lingqs for 「と」 and 「は」 so in reality this is three words. I have actually manually added とはいえ to my vocabulary but it still displays as two separate words, 「とは」 and 「いえ」, when I see it in a lesson. Before manually adding the word to my vocabulary, I tried highlighting the phrase. While I could use my mouse to highlight the entire phrase, once I let go of the mouse button the highlighting goes away so I cant create the lingq.

Personally, this issue appears to be very similar to the known issue of certain lingqs refusing to display in a lesson. I believe that issue was last discussed several months ago in the forum and I gave a list of example words.

@Kathi_W - Highlighting meaning selecting text with your mouse as if you were going to copy and paste it. Hopefully this helps you understand how to create phrase LingQs!

@cgreen0038 - It’s strange because I just saved these words then saved the phrase in a lesson without any issues. Which lesson are you try to save this phrase in?