Imported text length limit

Why the imported text is limited to 6000 characters?
Metodology/Programming?
I wish I could import whole articles to read and not to worry about splitting them…
Regards,
Greg

I feel the same way. There was a reason why we did it. I cannot remember. On the other hand there is no demand to change it, so with all the other things we have to do we are not planning to change it now, unless there are more people than you and me asking for it.

I personally don’t like big items, I prefer small ones that I can study entirely in one study section.
But there is a related limitation which I found very annoying, it is the file size of the mp3 files. Even when the item is under 6000 words, sometimes the audio is much greater than the maximun allowed, and then, after some minutes waiting for the upload, you end up with an error message…

You know, I can understand the limit of mp3 - simply it could leat to depleting servers’ storage space, but text? it’s not space consuming…

There is no limit for text and if you import in your own (private) area that is problem with the length.
If you want to share, you have to bring both text and sound and here is the limit in the record.

We are allowed to import text without audio, although such content cannot be shared right now.

I often import whole books and use a separate audio book, since it is time consuming to import long sound files. There is a limit of 6000 words even for importing for your own use. I would like to be able to import a whole book and then read the book off line and then enter lists of the words that I do not know. If the book is already in the system I am sure to get “Phrases” when I go to fill out the LingQ.

So I agree with Greg, but as I say, I do not think we are going to make changes right now to accommodate just 2 people.

How many people feel this need?

Not a problem for me, I only import shorter texts.

Sometimes I import for private longer text and have the record on iTune. That is no problem.

The fact of the matter is that uploading audio files ties up resources as does uploading text. There are some resource intensive operations that happen when text is uploaded. It is not as simple as just adding text. Any time a lot of resources are consumed it can lead to decreased speed and performance on the site. That is why we restrict audio and text size. This is unlikely to change in the near future.

I recently imported a 33kb audiobook chapter in to my private import area and it went through a-ok. shrugs

Why was the limit on text reduced recently? Now my lessons are getting automatically split into 2 parts, whereas a couple of weeks ago they were fine. I’m just talking about text here. Could you please reverse what you just did, or at lease double the new limit? That would give me a comfortable margin on my typical lesson length (script for a 30 min sitcom).

i agree with you-- 2000 words is too little. Most chapters i read are closer to 4000 words (and about 20 minutes of audio).

1 Like

Yes, 4000 words or at least 3000 wotds limit would be better.

1 Like

This was announced by Mark two weeks ago: http://www.lingq.com/forum/3/34852/

I agree that 2,000 words is too little. Now instead of linking simply to an external audio source, you have to split and upload the audio. It takes more time and needs more server space.

A warning that you have to live with slowliness would be better. But it should be a descision of the user to upload and study longer lessons.

2 Likes

Splitting up the audio is just another distraction that takes me away from real language learning. Two thousand words is only about 10 minutes of audio (even many of the imports from Steve himself is longer than 10 minutes-- the ones in French are usually about 13-20 minute conversations and definitely more than 2000 words).

For efficiency of the system (the previous 10,000 words and what seemed like unlimited audio) needed to be changed, however this seems like an extreme switch. The middle ground may have been more reasonable.

However, I do like the idea of breaking up long files into smaller more manageable ones ( however, for me, 2000 is just too small).

M

2 Likes