Pronunciation of läget

Hello,

I am under the impression that a g before a soft vowel such as e is pronounced as a y sound, so I thought this word should be like lä-yet, but the audio pronounces it lä-get. Is there another rule, or is this word unusual?

Thank you,
Jess

Well, we are talking about languages here, not mathemathics.

Some things you just have to accept!

You can call them exceptions, whatever you wish.

In English, foot and boot don’t rhyme, do you know why, by any chance? Likewise, love and move don’t rhyme.

Your impression is correct by the way, usually that is the case.

But even in Swedish, you will find different pronunciations for the same letter combinations, such as kör.

When “kör” means choir, it is pronounced rather differently to when it means drive ^^

Hi 2Maria,

My language learning experience has mostly involved Spanish, where there are few pronunciation surprises. Just so I set my expectations right, would you say that Swedish is like English in how irregular it is? As I understand, English is highly irregular, certainly a lot more than Spanish. Where would you put Swedish on that scale?

I’d say it’s a hard g that may turn into a [ɣ] (similar to intervocalic g in Spanish).

I have not been having deep thoughts about this but …

A heads up for accents in Swedish, they differ a lot in pronunciation but almost never in grammar and seldom in choice of words (like dutch and flemish). Jeff, Correct me if I’m wrong.

Me coming from south east and have been moving around a bit have a messed up accent. People in north leave ends of words out and people in southwest puts in a few extra vowels. Some accents are more nasal and some have an exaggerated “singing” melody.

Perhaps I’m exaggerating a bit (mostly we understand each other), when getting more advanced, try to listen to many different sources. Not sure of how big the Swedish library is but hopefully not all lessons sound the same and could give some examples of different accents.

Your example “läget” could for example vary largely dependent on who you talk to. I think, however, it’s the vowels changing more than the consonants.

What you heard in the lesson sounds like a neutral accent to me. Not like a news reporter but could be someone you meet on the street except for talking very clear and a bit slow of course :slight_smile:

It would be nice to get some opinions from advanced swedish learners. How do you find different accents?

Glad you started learning Swedish

Things that may confuse learners:
No regional accent has the same prosody as another (e.g. multi-syllable words may rise or fall in other places than you’re used to if you’ve only heard a certain accent)
Sounds may change according to regional accent (d->r - Har du… - >Ha’ru, Hur mår du - >Humåru)
Morphemes may disappear according regional accent (e.g. some accents pronounce several verb tenses identically, but not all do)