Incorrect spelling; this means optimal not excellent. They mean OTIMO

Incorrect spelling; this means optimal, not excellent as suggested. Maybe they meant OTIMO? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

It’s the European spelling (Portuguese from Portugal).

Grafia anterior ao Acordo Ortográfico de 1990: óptimo.
Grafia posterior ao Acordo Ortográfico de 1990: ótimo.

Estou óptimo, obrigado. - I’m fine, thanks./I feel great, thanks!

ÓPTIMO VAMOS! - Great/Excellent, let’s go!

So even in Portugal one should write “ótimo”?

BTW, do the press and the people in general follow the Acordo Ortográfico in Portugal? From what I see on RTP with the “lição de bom português”, people don’t seem to know what changed or didn’t change with this reform.

Hi Jorgis
You should write ótimo if you want to write by the Acordo Ortográfico - spelling agreement
It is used in schools and the majority of media. There are however people who are strongly against it and still write according to the spelling in use before the Acordo Ortográfico. Until 1915 both ways of writing are valid. There are movements in Portugal against the implementation of this agreement.
And yes, there are for sure many people who don’t know what has changed. I myself have to check in a dictionary quite often.

O Acordo Ortográfico da Língua Portuguesa (1990) entrou em vigor no início de 2009 no Brasil e em 13 de maio de 2009 em Portugal. Em ambos os países foi estabelecido um período de transição em que tanto as normas anteriormente em vigor como a introduzida por esta nova reforma são válidas: esse período é de três anos no Brasil e de seis anos em Portugal.

http://www.portaldalinguaportuguesa.org/acordo.php