Dieser Satz verwirrt mir ein bisschen. "Dann stelle ich den

Dieser Satz verwirrt mir ein bisschen. “Dann stelle ich den Herd etwas herunter.” = Then I put something down the oven."??

“den Herd runterstellen” means to lower the heat.

1 Like

I down-regulate the temperature of the oven.

“Herunter stellen” can have different meanings. It can mean to put a thing down. But it can also mean to regulate something.

Ups, Paule war mal wieder schneller und hat schon geantwortet, während ich noch geschrieben habe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. I could not find this definition anywhere though I suspected the meaning you all share with me. This is one reason I like what you all do. I would never get this in a book! :slight_smile:

Deutsch verwirrt mich auch ständig!

1 Like

That is encouraging, SanneT, as it gives me hope! :slight_smile:

In reviewing the LingQ Tutors of Deutsch responses to my questions, “Ich habe mich entscheiden, dass Ihr Genies und erstaunlich sind!” One thing about language learning that is exciting and mystifying to me is how the human mind absorbs “meaning” and makes all the necessary connections to achieve that meaning. I love to watch German children speaking with friends and family and I am totally amazed at how nimble they are at creating good sentences in German with no effort. It is completely different for me. I think English is easy in comparison so I am doubly amazed.