Translation Assistance: with "rühren". I understand the gist of this

Translation Assistance: with “rühren”. I understand the gist of this sentence but I do not understand the verb meaning/use in the initial phrase: Daher rührt die Vorschrift , Rauchmelder anzubringen. Rauchmelder helfen, Menschenleben.

This is a test to see how Captcha is working for me.

Hier steht rühren für “daher stammen”. Ungefähr: Die Vorschrift Rauchmelder anzubringen stammt daher dass Rauchmelder Menschenleben retten.

Here you find some translations vor “herrühren”: dict.cc | herrühren | English Dictionary

Viele Irrtümer rühren daher, dass ich nie aufpasse, was ich schreibe!

Folks I guess I still do not understand. Vera suggested that “herrühren” is the verb but as a newbie I do not see the “her” in that sentence by itself. I see “daher”. If I try and translate to English to make sure I understand the German I get this…Therefore mix the provision (regulation) to install smoke detectors". Or something like " As a consequence the provision (regulation) arises to install smoke detectors." I have to struggle to get this last sentence, if it is a correct rendering, because to me, the sentence looks like it is missing part of the verb. Can you all provide more clarity for the rendering to English missing the “her” part of Vera’s verb “herrühren” in that sentence?? This is a new construction for me to grasp. I am not doubting what you all are saying but I guess I am just a little “thick” when it comes to understanding this sentence. Thanks for you all’s help in advance.

Don’t worry, this is one of the wonders of German, you’ll get there!

My original explanation should have been clearer: “von etwas stammen” = “von etwas rühren” = “von etwas koommen” = “originates from”.

Your confusion originates from the complexity of some German verbs. This sentence could be translated as:

Deine Verwirrung rührt davon (or daher), dass einige deutsche Verben komplex sind.
Or: …stammt daher (oder davon), dass . . .
Or: rührt von dem Schwierigkeitsgrad einiger deutscher Verben her.
Or: stammt von dem Schwierigkeitsgrad einiger deutscher Verben. (without additional “her, von, daher, davon”).
Or: kommt von dem Schwierigkeitsgrad einiger deutscher Verben. (without additional “her, von, daher, davon”).

Here a little “bonus”:

Ich stamme von Klaus Störtebeker ab. The verb is abstimmen, the content is most likely not true, could be, though. KB was my favourite pirate, my superhero. Das rührt davon her, dass wir nicht viele moderne Superhelden hatten.

1 Like

Thank you SanneT. Your comments are extremely valuable and appreciated.

You are more than welcome! Thank you for the rose. I’ve corrected my typo “kommen” and have added “stems from” to round off the explanation :slight_smile: