Ich kann mich nicht darum kümmern

Hello. I have a question. Do natives say this phrase" Ich kann mich nicht darum kümmern". It’s a bit of a tongue twister for me, because of ch being said back-to-back.

It’ll be interesting to hear what the native speakers say about this. (I kind of get the feeling the one would be more likely to say: “Ich werde mich nicht darum kümmern”…)

Ich werde mich darum kümmern :wink:

The sentence above is perfect. Here you can read more about this kind of construction: German History and Culture
I hope this helps.

Does it work with the negation too?

“Ich werde mich nicht darum kümmern” is perfect too - but not true in this case :wink: Ich habe mich nämlich darum gekümmert.

Thanks friends. Every bit of help gives me a little more knowledge of the German language.

“It’s a bit of a tongue twister for me, because of ch being said back-to-back.”

Keep in mind that the “ch” in this phrase are all pronounced like the “s” in “sure” or the “sh” in “shoot”.
Some beginners have a tendency to pronounce it like the “c” in "cat.

“Keep in mind that the “ch” in this phrase are all pronounced like the “s” in “sure” or the “sh” in “shoot”.”

By Sean Connery maybe, but by a native speaker?

Writing about pronounciation is difficult, so I decided to make a recording.

Then again, someone* told me that my pronounciation of the “ch” is slightly “non-standard” or something like that.

*Vera? Robert?

Wow, it does sound like the s in sure and the sh in shoot. At least in your recording. I have been listening to ‘nicht’, ‘mich’, ‘sure’, and ‘shoot’ on Forvo, and they sound different to me, but it is hard to know.

…maybe this is why you have the sexiest voice on LingQ (as has long been established). You are the German Sean Connery.

“Wow, it does sound like the s in sure and the sh in shoot. At least in your recording. I have been listening to ‘nicht’, ‘mich’, ‘sure’, and ‘shoot’ on Forvo, and they sound different to me, but it is hard to know.”

Yeah, that´s odd. No one ever told me about my “accent” until recently though, so I guess it´s not a big deal.

“maybe this is why you have the sexiest voice on LingQ (as has long been established). You are the German Sean Connery.”

I wish you were right, haha^^

(Come to think of it, Sean also has a beard…)

:smiley:

Maybe Paule is the lovechild of Sean Connery and Angela Merkel!

I admit it was me who recognized your accent. Like Colin I think it sounds more like “sch” than like “ch”. Now I’ve to go to my job but I’ll try later to make a recording as well (and to look for a place where I can upload it). Maybe we should start a project of recording the same text with different voices …

Paul, I’ve told you before that your voice is great. Even with this special pronunciation … or because of it ?

Strange is that your pronunciation besides this special thing is definitely close to Standard German.

Good idea Vera :slight_smile:
I second that!
The same text with different voices sounds very interesting if ever it gets off the ground.

Paul,
There should be no doubt in your mind … there really is something about your voice.
You should treasure it and use it as your trademark.

Ein Aussprache Vergleich zu der Aufnahme von Paul.

j;-)

1 Like

Curious! Paul has a wonderful voice, but there is definitely something off about his pronunciation of these particular letter combinations.

I knew a German guy in Düsseldorf who was unable to pronounce the “sch” in Deutschland. He would say “Deutchland” and would assure me that his parents were “deutch”. Since then I’ve heard the same kind of ‘wrong’ pronunciation in television interviews from that region. Is this a speech defect or something that is creeping into the language? I have no idea.

Paul’s way of talking can be heard in some regional dialects in the south, but I’ve never heard it from somebody from Berlin (and I used to live there, a long time ago, granted).

Maybe it´d make sense to listen to a longer recording

“I’ve never heard it from somebody from Berlin (and I used to live there, a long time ago, granted).”

How long?

I´m sure someone would´ve told me about it. I´ve lived in Berlin for all of my life (=the last 25 years) and I´ve been on stage many many times as a singer or actor. No one ever said that I have a " southern accent" or a “speech defect”, and I guess vocal coaches or acting coaches would have a reason to do so…

I am not saying you have a speech defect!!! You have a wonderful, a great voice. You do pronounce the ch as sch, no question. But people do not care, it’s your voice that counts!