Zuhören

“Sie müssen viel zuhören”

Could I use just “hören”? somebody could explain to me.

Of course you could. It’s just more intensive listening TO something when you say “zuhören”. In English it says “reading and listening”, in German that’s “lesen und hören”. So the sentence could also be “Sie müssen viel hören”.

@daniel

Das Verb “hören” kann verschiedene Bedeutungen haben.
Je nach Satz verwende ich : abhören, zuhören, überhören, anhören, mithören, hinhören.

Vielleicht schaust Du Dir die verschiedenen Anwendungen im Duden nach.

j:-)

“Je nach Satz verwende ich : abhören, zuhören, überhören, anhören, mithören, hinhören.”

danieloliveira88, this is when you should be asking yourself if you really want to learn German!

@colin
I love your humor!
j;-)

Personally I would have chosen “hören” instead of “zuhören”. The translation of the LingQ 101 course wasn’t done by me, and before I had finished my translation (it was during the holiday time), they (LinQ) had taken the other translation. There are some other slight issues with this course. I remember I had changed one of the lessons and rerecorded it because LingQ Support asked me for correction.

“Ich höre mir einen Podcast an.” sounds more naturally to me than “Ich höre einem Podcast zu.”

1 Like

Ich stimme Vera voll zu.
j;-)

Oh! thank you very much people!
I´ll learn german more fast than I thought.
Thanks again :wink:

ad Vera: (…) … (…)

… “Ich höre mir einen Podcast an.” sounds more naturally to me than “Ich höre einem Podcast zu.” (…)

I’ve noticed that with practically all language courses from Langenscheidt, Hueber etc., i. e. courses by German publishing houses, they use sentences like “Hören Sie bitte den nächsten Dialog”.

I would never ever say that in German and to be honest for me this is simply wrong. I clearly distinguish between “hören” (to hear something) and “sich etwas anhören” or “jemandem zuhören” in the sense of “to listen to something/somebody”.

So, I completely agree with you that “Ich höre mir einen Podcast an” sounds more natural. Actually, I would never use “Ich höre einem Podcast zu” because to me that suggests that the podcast is kind of talking to me.

I’m wondering if what I mentioned above is a peculiarity of German spoken in Germany or just something that Langenscheidt, Hueber do (I’m referring to the wording “Hören Sie bitte den nächsten Dialog”).

While I can hear a dialogue (just as I can hear any sound), I guess I’m supposed to attentively listen to it. This is why I find it so strange that people use this construction (especially in courses where they teach German).

If in German I say “Ich höre viel Englisch” this simply means that you hear a lot of English being spoken around you. It does not suggest that you actually pay any attention to it. At least that’s how I understand the word “hören” in German.

P.S. “Sie müssen viel hören”. I don’t think you have any influence on what you hear. This is why I would never use this construction. It is like saying “Sie müssen viel spüren”, which doesn’t make any sense to me either.

1 Like

Agree with you all: “Hören Sie sich den nächsten Dialog an” is what I would expect to hear from Langenscheidt usw…

Ich höre viel Deutsch, wenn ich in der Oxford Street bin.

Ich höre dir gern zu, wenn du mit deiner Tochter sprichst.

Ich höre mir die Rede an, aber nur weil der Sprecher sich so gut anhört.

3 Likes

ad Sanne: (…) Agree with you all: “Hören Sie sich den nächsten Dialog an” is what I would expect to hear from Langenscheidt usw… (…)

Exactly! I have no idea why they use “Hören Sie den nächsten Dialog an”. It just sounds wrong (and they really should know better).

Great example sentences.

I did a lot of German lessons in a language school and did lessons with many different German teachers on Skype. I found that a lot of the time, they would teach me what was correct and what was not correct based on how they throught the language should be used, and not on how it actually is normally used. Could this be the reason?

(Btw, are we allowed to call Germans and Austrians grammarnazis? Probably not.)

Danke für die Blumen!

(Übrigens, wo ist der Rattenschwanz auf der deutschen Tastatur? Ich schalte immer wie verrückt um, um das @ zu schreiben.)

@ColinJohnstone: you had better not! I used to be a ‘Partikel’ in our grammar game at school and you know what particles are capable of…

I agree. " “Hören Sie sich den nächsten Dialog an” is the way I would express this thought. I don’t know why Langenscheidt use another form. Maybe they made a direct translation from English to German? Or they want to be as short as possible? Anyway, it doesn’t sound correct to me. It has nothing to do with another use of German in Germany (in my opinion).

1 Like

ad Colin: (…) (Btw, are we allowed to call Germans and Austrians grammarnazis? Probably not.) (…)

I don’t see why you should not be allowed to do so. Personally, I think this term is nonsense (not getting into another discussion on nazis here though). Übrigens glaube ich nicht, dass Deutsche und Österreicher auf Grammatikregeln öfter herumreiten (that’s a nice expression ;-)) als andere Leute das in ihrer Muttersprache tun.

(…) …I found that a lot of the time, they would teach me what was correct and what was not correct based on how they throught the language should be used, and not on how it actually is normally used. Could this be the reason? (…)

I guess we all have our personal preferences when it comes to using our own language. Before I go as far as to say that something is wrong, I normally try to verify if I’m correct or not.

In any case, I’d never teach anybody to say “Hören Sie den Dialog”.

Another terrible trend in German (at least in Austrian newspapers) is to use “trotzdem” in the sense of “obwohl”.

Example: Trotzdem er die Wahl verloren hatte, wurde er zum Präsidenten gewählt.

It has to be “Obwohl er …”.

And then there are numerous interferences with English. I can’t count how often I have read “unakzeptabel” (obviously from the English “unacceptable”) while it should be “inakzeptabel” in German.

One of the funniest mistakes some native speakers make is to mix up “uneinsichtig” and “uneinsehbar”.

I’m sure you’ll find lots of “uneinsichtige Gärten, Grundstücke” if you google. How dare they? Such stubborn gardens etc. :wink:

Whenever I’m not sure whether what I am saying in German is correct or not, I look it up and I tell people (my language exchange partners for example) that I’m not sure. I will also tell them whenever I use a typically Austrian expression or structure. In that specific case, however, I’d say whoever came up with the sentence “Hören Sie bitte diesen Dialog” at langenscheidt, Hueber etc. must have had a pretty bad day. It simply is wrong and to me it also sounds weird.

EDIT: Just in case people thought I had made that whole story up:

On page two they actually say “Hören Sie vier Dialoge” ---- speib, würg …

You could say “Sie hören nun vier Dialoge” but you can’t turn that into a suggestion.

2 Likes

Robert, Deine Beispiele machen mich schaudern.

1 Like

Vera: (…) …Robert, Deine Beispiele machen mich schaudern. (…)

Ich bin an sich kein pingeliger Mensch bzw. i-Tüpferl-Reiter, wie wir in Österreich sagen, aber das sind wirklich schaurige Fehler.

Ich muss auch zugeben, dass die deutschen Zeitungen meiner persönlichen Erfahrung nach wesentlich besser sind als die österreichischen, wenn es um die korrekte Verwendung der deutschen Sprache geht. Was man in unseren Zeitungen an Fehlern findet (nicht nur in den Online-Versionen), das geht manchmal schon auf keine Kuhhaut mehr. Auch unsere so genannten Qualitätszeitungen wie der Standard oder die Presse können sich mit vielen deutschen Zeitungen nicht messen (auch nicht, was die Präzision bei der Berichterstattung anbelangt).

Im sprachlichen Alltag sind Österreicher wie Deutsche wohl ähnlich “fehleranfällig”. Bei den Schweizern kann ich das nicht so beurteilen, weil es mir diesbezüglich an Erfahrungen fehlt. Jolanda ist jedenfalls schon mit ihrem Schweizerdeutsch, Hochdeutsch und wahrscheinlich noch ein paar lokalen Dialekten mehrsprachig :slight_smile:

“I can’t count how often I have read “unakzeptabel” (obviously from the English “unacceptable”) while it should be “inakzeptabel” in German.”

Me fail English? That’s unpossible!

2 Likes

@ liebesprachenIII

Ich habe dir mit Skype dieses Link geschickt

“Für die Forscher vom Institut für Astrophysik der Uni Wien ein Affront.”

Ist das wirklich ein Satz? Wo haben sie das Verb versteckt?

p.s. I also don’t think the Germans or Austrians ride around on the grammar rules more than others. Vielleicht tun sie es, aber ich habe keine Ahnung.

@@@@@@ man muss sich nur zu helfen wissen! Ich hab’s auf Google gefunden! Nun kann ich endlich auch bei Forumsdiskussionen dabei sein!