It looks like you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Sorry, we only support IE 10 and above. To use the site you will need to use a more up to date browser. We strongly recommend you upgrade to:

" Unsere Wanduhr steht" Google translate has this meaning " the clock is" but this makes no sense. "Steht" is one of those words that seems to have many, many meanings in the dictionary other than what it means in most cases "he,she,it stands". Could someone shed some light on this?

Here: The clock has stopped.

Man kann auch sagen:

Die Wanduhr ist stehengeblieben. Sie läuft nicht mehr. Daher weiß ich nicht, wieviel Uhr es jetzt ist.

My English translation: The clock has stopped. It doesn't go anymore. Therefore I don't know how late it is now.

Fasulye

Thanks evgueny40, that's kind of what I figured. Your examples Fasulye make more sense in this situation, I wouldn't have had any trouble figuring out what these phrases meant. I really like these lessons as most of there are pretty funny, which motives me, however sometimes a beginner might struggle when there's an idiom in the sentence to which no dictionary has a definition. BTW my reading is really improving but my listening skills aren't close to the same level. I almost always read and listen to the audio at the same time, but when I try listen without reading along, my comprehension drops quite a bit. I guess i need to listen more.

To comment login or sign up for a free account