Pronunciation of -ig

I have noticed that, when counting numerics like vierzig, fünfzig, etc. It is pronounced like the French ç. But, when you pronounced Richtig, it sounded completely different like -ick in pick. Why is that?

Sorry for the confusion.
In the north parts of Germany you pronounce “ig” like “ich”. This is standard German.
In the south parts of Germany “ig” is often pronounced like “ik”. I live in the middle of Germany. Unfortunately I sometimes pronounce “ig” like “ik”. You should be able to understand both versions. Preferably you learn the correct pronunciation which sounds like “ich”.

-ig is pronounced [iç] in IPA, but that is not at all like the French ç, which is just a plain s sound.

ç (IPA) is the “Voiceless palatal fricative”, see

On that page you see also an example in German:
dicht [dɪçt] – english: dense

So a German “-ig” is spoken like the “ch” in “dicht”, and that’s what Vera said above.

You may also consult … Standard German phonology - Wikipedia

The French ç has nothing to do with the IPA-ç.

Voiceless palatal fricative, Short link = Voiceless palatal fricative - Wikipedia

Vielen Dank für die Erklärungen, Vera und Hape! Oft habe ich mich über die Differenzen mit der Aussprache von “ig” gewundert .

Ich verstehe es jetzt. Viele Dank hape und Veral. :slight_smile:

In Österreich sprechen die meisten Leute “-ig” als “ik”, genauso wie im Süden Deutschlands. Ganz so streng wird das aber auch bei uns nicht gehandhabt. Manchmal wird ein “ich” und manchmal ein “ik” gesprochen. Ich selbst spreche im Regelfall ein “ik”, weil ich das von Kindheit an so gewohnt bin. Ich muss zugeben, dass mir diese Aussprache auch besser gefällt, aber das ist wohl subjektiv bzw. eine Frage der Gewohnheit.