In this phrase - "...aprender a hablar en un nuevo...,'

In this phrase - "…aprender a hablar en un nuevo…,’ is the Spanish preposition ‘a’ redundant? Wouldn’t a native Spanish speaker say, “…aprender hablar en un nuevo…?” ‘To speak’ is implied in the verb “hablar.” One would not say, “learn to to speak…” I’m wondering if this is a typographical error?

Oh, I asked a question on the forum a while back, it was a grammar question. At the risk of repeating myself; yes, I get that grammar is not a big focus, but people responded with asinine remarks which was of no use and almost had me stop this course. If grammar isn’t your thing, then don’t respond. I happen to like this course, and I am going to ask a question from time to time, and it might happen to pertain to grammar, funny that, being it is a language course an’ all. Does anyone get the irony?

This is not a typo. “Aprender” is one of those Spanish verbs that takes an “a” between it and another verb. It doesn’t translate to anything in English.

How To Use the Spanish Preposition 'A' (This explains the grammar although it doesn’t specifically mention the word “aprender”.)

Jingle has given you the explanation and I am going to add a bit of levity:

If you were to translate “I am going to learn to speak …”, you would use yet another “Spanish a” : voy a aprender a hablar …" Aren’t languages wonderful? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Jingle!

Now I have a head ache! :slight_smile:

“Aren’t languages wonderful?” Yes SanneT, they are! Unfortunately, I’m not that good with my native (English) language :-/ If it were not for spell check you wouldn’t be able to understand one written word of mine :wink:

I just finished reading the link you provided mate, thanks. I try not to bog myself down with too much grammar, not as yet anyways. If I did, my Spanish learning would almost grind to a halt :slight_smile:

I have found that I really enjoy learning what most people detest in language learning; i.e, grammar. In response to that, I do see how focusing solely on the structure of language/s can make for a great grammarian at the risk of speaking a language with any real fluency.