Why is there a "tú" before or after "cómo te

Why is there a “tú” before or after “cómo te llamas”? Whether or not there is a “tú”, isn’t it the same identical question? So “tú” isn’t needed when there is already a verb ending in the you form, right?

Correct.

The tú is not needed at all. The inclusion of tú, in either position, makes the question more emphatic–YOU, not anybody else.

Perhaps someone else has just introduced himself but you still remain anonymous. Or someone asks your name but fails to introduce himself. Imagine this in English:

A: Hi, what’s your name? ¿Como te llamas?
B. Carla. What 's YOUR name? ¿Como te llamas tú?

And of course asking the question emphatically just singles out one particular person whose name the speaker really wants to know.

1 Like

Great answer by TeacherNia. Ole tu, ole tu!

Thank you.

Thank you for the clarification.

@TecherNia: I think your response to this and others in Spanish and English are great and look forward to them. Have your seen this query that hasn’t been responded to: ‘Por qué usar el tiempo pluscuamperfecto aquí?’ In Foro abierto en Español (Open Forum in Spanish), Por Qué Usar El Tiempo Pluscuamperfecto Aquí? - Language ...
I think I know the answer but don’t want to confuse anyone.

@vonpaulus: I like your response to this and others as well. Could you respond to the referenced unanswered query I wrote about above?