The word QUE confuses me

I thought que meant “what”
the sentence “Quieres que hable mas despacio”? what would que mean in this sentence?
also “Quieres que lo repita?”
when would you know when to use que? could not the 2 sentences do fine with out using que?

thanks

“Que” means what but also “that”. It’s the same as in most romance languages. “QUE quieres? Quieres QUE hable mas despacio?”

“What do you want? Do you want me to repeat it? (or, literally, do you want THAT I repeat it?)”

In English you can’t say “do you want?” when you mean “WHAT do you want?”. It’s the same in Spanish. Certain structures are the way they are just because they are. When learning languages you have to get used to this kind of stuff.

English doesn’t have a subjunctive the way Spanish and all (or most) other Romance languages do, but that is the way you conjugate the subjunctive: que repita, que hable etc.

1 Like

Que is also used in French a lot. The word QUE isn’t all that complicated, unless you’re trying a literal translation. Like Elric has said," Certain structures are the way they are just because they are. When learning languages you have to get used to this kind of stuff."

So don’t give up over something so little. It will appear a lot in Spanish( and French (: )

got it thanks!

Que loco tio:)