Hi, what is the difference between "Estoy" and "Yo soy"?

Hi, what is the difference between “Estoy” and “Yo soy”? They both seem to mean “I am”? In what cases should I use each one?

@ce_ nedra

Have a look at Google! :wink:

http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/100040/ser-and-estar

http://www.wikilengua.org/index.php/ser/estar

j;-)

Thank you! :slight_smile:

ce_nedra,
¡Buen día!

What you are really asking about is the difference between the ‘to be’ verbs estar and ser.

I highly recommend the book “Correct Your Spanish Blunders” [McGraw Hill] by Jean Yates.
Pages 87-90 and 308-310 are devoted to differences between estar and ser. It has lots of examples.

When adjectives are used with estar, the meaning changes from when they are used with ser.

(to a girl:) Eres muy bonita. You’re so pretty.
(to a girl:) ¡Estás muy bonita! You look really good today!

ser describes your identity:
Soy estudiante. I am a student.
estar describes a state of being:
Estoy cansado. I’m tired. (male voice)

estar can be used with the present participle: to be doing something
Estoy comiendo/durmiendo/caminando. I am eating/sleeping/walking.
What’s nice about this construction is that when person changes, the participle doesn’t change:
La mujer está comiendo/durmiendo/caminando. The woman is eating/sleeping/walking.

¡Mucha suerte!

@brucenator

Thank you for your thorough reply. Very helpful.

de nada

One more thing I should mention about ‘yo.’
In Spanish, the verb defines person, so subject pronouns are generally unnecessary. Subject pronouns are mostly used for emphasis.
‘Yo’ as the subject pronoun is really only necessary to emphasize yourself. Otherwise, avoid using ‘yo’ (or any other subject pronoun) altogether, as it is already indicated by the verb and context.

Examples:
Soy profesor.
I am a teacher.

Yo, yo soy profesor y ella, ella es médico.
Me, I’m a teacher, and she’s a doctor.

Chus, abre la puerta. Soy yo, ce_nedra.
Chus, open the door. It’s me, ce_nedra.

Four friends at a restaurant:
Server: ¿Necesitan la cuenta?
Ale: Si, por favor.
Server: Aquí está.
ce_nedra: Gracias por todo.
Zorion: ¿Cuánto es?
Ale: Costó $74 (setenta y cuatro pesos). Yo voy a pagar la cuenta.
ce_nedra: No, yo la pago.
Fran: Gracias, ce_nedra. Vos sos muy simpático.
Do you need the check? | Yes, please. | Here you are. | Thanks for everything. | How much is is? | It’s 74 pesos. I’LL pay the bill. | No, let ME pay. | Thanks, ce_nedra. You’re really nice.

p.s. I’m no expert on Spanish. I lost most of the Spanish I had acquired (I spoke it when I was in Argentina about 5 years ago) when I began studying Dutch several years ago and stopped using Spanish. But these are beginner examples which I still remember and still have on hand.

1 Like

Thank you, that really helps. It’s good to get a simple explanation with clear examples too. Much appreciated :slight_smile:

ce_nedra I have a very easy lesson about “ser” and “estar”

it is the third lesson, I don’t seem to be able to give you the exact link

Berta
IDEL
Spanish lessons at Lingq

ser and estar from IDEL

j:-)

ce_nedra,

About 90% of the time, ser indicates state, estar indicates traditional English “to be.”

To go deeper, you can get Schaum’s Spanish Grammar.

I am blonde, American and cold… You would normally say tengo (I have cold), but I will force the example upon a person.

Yo, yo soy rubio y americano, tambien estoy frio. In other words, my body temperature will change, but not my hair or nationality.

That concept covers most of the usage.

BUT, you should learn the other 10% that covers additional nuances, which explain why you would say “Yo tengo frio,” instead of “Yo estoy frio.”

Wayne

1. (to a girl:) Eres muy bonita. You’re so pretty.

2. (to a girl:) ¡Estás muy bonita! You look really good today!

3. Eres TAN if you are going to say that.

4. And other days you look bad?

State of being does not change quickly, and beauty is a state. I might be wrong, but that is what sounds right.

1 Like