Doubts about the expression: 幕府 と いう の は その 時代 の 政府 の こと です 。

I think it means “The government of this period is known as shogunate”. But I don’t know what is the function of “の は その” and “の こと”.

Bakufu(幕府) refers to the government(政府) of that period(その時代の).
「幕府というのは、その時代の政府のことです。」

…というのは、…のことです。

以下は例文。
EITというのは、拷問のことです。(EIT refers to torture.)
リストラというのは、人員整理(解雇)のことです。(Restructuring refers to …)
年長者とは、老人のことです。(“Senior people” refers to old people.)

Sorry, but I don’t understand japonese yet. Do you mind translating your post to english if it don’t disturb you too much?

Aというのは、Bのことです。
A refers to B.

I guess I got it now. Thanks

Maybe some explanation of の, その and こと might help, as they are very frequently used words.

の - “what” or “that which” as used to make a noun clause.
…幕府 と いう: it is called Shogunate
…幕府 と いう の: “what is called Shogunate”. A sentence became a noun clause.
…幕府 と いう の は…: what is called Shogunate is… The noun clause made by の is used as subject.

その - one unbreakable word meaning “that” or “the said” or “what was just mentioned”.
…その 時代 => that era , その 時代 の => of that era, その 時代 の 政府 => government of that era

こと - means “thing” or “entity”.
…政府 の こと です means “what is (was) the government” or “the institution of government”, etc.
…の here is used to mean possession(like “of”), a different meaning than the above の。

So, of the many のs:
1st: “what” (noun clause maker)
2nd: part of the word "その”
3rd: “of”
4th: “of” (but in this case it means “something equivalent” rather than “possession”; like “of” in “statement of truth”)

The sentence means “What is called Shogunate is the institution of government of that era”, “What we refer to as Shogunate is what consituted government in that era”, or something like that. こと is hard to translate literally.