What is it?

hello,
I can’t understand this expression, here is the phrase: “My mother did me such a solid doing that”
Thanks

Where does it come from? It’s not correct English as far as I’m aware.

This was spoken by Bill Maher to Larry King in an interview. I got the words from the transcript provided from CNN…

Are you aware that native English speakers sometimes talk complete rubbish? :wink:

Or maybe it’s a modern American idiom. I can’t always tell the difference :-p

kkkkkk
Yes, Helen, I’m aware, but since this appeared in the transcript, I assumed it was valid English…
Let’s see if any American tutor tells us if this is an idiom or Marher’s invention…

I must say that I had to look these up to answer your question, but “do me a solid” means “to do someone a favor”. These two sites (one new and one old) will better explain.

http://clarioncontent.blogspot.com/2008/02/do-me-solid.html

Seriously, though, you don’t really have to memorize this one. You will probably never use it in your life…and if you do, I can’t guarantee how many people will understand this saying. I have seen the shows listed in “urban dictionary” that use this saying, and the phrase, “do me a solid” never even “phased me”.

Hope this helps!

Well, I guess after this whole discussion, I’ve already memorized it!!
Anyway, in the urban dictionary it is said it also appeared in Juno, which is a recent movie… Maybe it is a regional expression, we have a lot of words and expressions in Brazil that would only be recognized in specific regions.
Thanks you both, girls!

Well, I’m certainly learning a lot in LingQ! I should add that to my English vocabulary list :wink: