I changed my native language

When I am studying English on LingQ, I don’t want to see Japanese words on the screen. Some of them are just kana letters, for example, “インポート” instead of “Import.” For many of us Japanese, the description “Import” is more useful because the word is easily found in the dictionaries. So I changed my native language from Japanese to English on the settings page. I think that I will be accustomed to English words and expressions by using LingQ in this way.

I don’t like recent Russian translation, but I don’t change interface language. I see errors everyday, and it keeps me motivated to help translate LingQ as soon as I get Internet connection at home.

Like Rasana, I stay with my native language. So I can see which translations are missing. But for members that do not help is it a good way to experience more English.

I’ve installed English as a native language just from the beginning; I find it helpful to see the interface in your target language. And I’m going to set English as the dictionary language too, for the same reasons. Besides, in my opinion native and interface languages should be split, and as far as I know Mark has it on his to-do list.

Jürgen, This change is done since a few months.

I still see in my settings the entries “Native Language” and “Dictionary Language” If I change “Native Language” the interface is changing too. That is what I mean.

The Native Language should act as more of an interface language while the Dictionary Language should allow you to receive translations independent of your interface language. I see now that, while the Dictionary Language determines the translation language, the Native Language seems to determine the User Hints that show up in the blue LingQ Popup. We will have that changed so that the Dictionary Language determines the User Hints. Then, you will be able to make your native language whatever you like and still receive translations and user hints in your desired dictionary language.

Thanks Mark for the explanation

This issue has now been resolved so that Native Language only determines the User Interface language while the Dictionary Language determines the language of translations and hints.

would it be possible to allow more than one dictionary language? This would allow me to involve other languages that I know, making a more enriching learning experience. Thanks for the consideration

I suppose it is possible.

The first post of this thread was in October 2009. Time flies like an arrow, and fruit flies like a banana.

(Edited)

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

2 Likes

Thank you, ColinJohnstone.

That’s a good example of a garden path sentence. There is an excellent Wikipedia article about such sentences.

The horse raced past the barn fell.
The old man the boat.
The complex houses married and single soldiers and their families.
The government plans to raise taxes were defeated.

You can add dictionaries in other languages by clicking the edit dictionary settings option in the dictionary drop down when looking at a LingQ. Keep in mind that when using dictionaries in other languages your hint language will be changed to that language as well. If you are checking dictionaries in other languages and then entering your hint in English, you will need to change the hint language to English as well.

The hint made confuses.

1 Like