Learning To Write Russian

For the past two days, I have been learning how to write cursive Russian. It was a little difficult, but I was successful in mastering some of letters and others are some sloppy. Now I can practice writing little sentences in my notebook, and practice on learning the Russian cases by writing examples. I was only able to type Russian in word pad, but it was a waste of time because I wasn’t to the Russian keyboard layout. I’m now able to quickly write practice exercises with less trouble.

I wonder how many Russian language learners learn to hand-write Russian? If you do, which letter do you like writing the most? I like how capital д is beautifully written.

I guess hand-written Russian д looks the same as hand-written English g, isn’t it?
By the way I like how hand-written Russian word шишка looks :wink:

1 Like

I’d like to learn to write cursive but I have little incentive to do so because most of my Russian work/practice is on the computer.

That being said, I know how to type in Russian quite reasonably. (A lowly 34 words per minute, but I’m literate)

A lot of the Russian speakers that learned in the States that I know, learned how to write at a young age because it was required for them growing up.

1 Like

I meant when д is written in its capital form, but yes lower case д does look like cursive g for some reason. =D

How do you not get frustrated when you type the wrong letter? For me it is a bit of a pain. Do you have a sheet of paper that shows the letters on the keyboard or little sticky notes on the keys themselves?

1 Like

I bought a keyboard skin from Amazon.

I bought it when I started to learn Russian, so I guess I made typing one of my first priorities. I started with the program Memrise, and the typing made it like a game and it was much easier than manually clicking each letter.

Also, I go to 10fastfingers .com or whatever one it is, and they have a typing test for Russian. Try it out!

1 Like

I need to learn to at least read cursive so I can read Russian italics online.

By the way, I didn’t bother buying a special keyboard. After added the keyboard to Windows, I printed up a cheat sheet:
http://annaleeblysse.blogspot.com/2014/12/russian-keyboard-layout-image-for.html

4 Likes

I write in Russian hand-writing every day. I have a small notebook, and I write down new words from my Skype-sessions in it in cursive. It looks beautiful I think, and it makes the words easier to remember (for me). I hardly ever write in Norwegian by hand, and so when I need to make a note or a grocery list or something, I usually write “d” as “g” :slight_smile: And there are several letters that I like very much, like ц, ш, г, з, я … “вечная мерзлота” for instance looks very nice, I think.

Interesting question, Ozzy!

2 Likes

Haha! =))) You reminded me of the necessity to recall how to handwrite in Russian! =)))) By the way, probably got to share some of the hand-written letters, italics inclusive, 可是我书法得不太好!对, my handwriting is not very nice! :wink:

2 Likes

Typing has ruined me too.

1 Like

Aga! =))) But further to what I’m telling you about now, luckily I didn’t come across any italics at that age of mine, it happened much later, and as you can guess, I really had to teach myself, though for a very short period of time, but still teach, how to read those italics! :wink:

By the way, maybe it’d be better if we make a video to this effect, eh? :wink: Or I’ll make it for you? =))) What’s your opinion? :wink:

1 Like

Yes. Hard to believe that with all the videos on YouTube there isn’t a video (easily found) about reading Russian Italics.

2 Likes

ธ้ำ พำฟหนื The reason is rather obvious, every native had hard time mastering their reading but nobody remembers this period! :wink: Oh, dear me, forgotten to switch from Phasa Thai ! :wink:

1 Like

I print and type, but haven’t bothered to learn cursive. Maybe some day.

1 Like

Лишишься – русский почерк иногда заставляет меня плакать. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

By the way, I tried to read that word (which makes to cry). Just the hint helped to.
Than I asked my wife to read the same word without seeing the hint. She could not recognize it.
Of course, it does not mean all Russian words look so funny. But I personally don’t like to write this way and I don’t find it much quicker in my own personal case.

When I first started typing I had a print out of the keyboard next to me. Nowadays I touch type Cyrillic (quite slowly at times, I must confess).

I love writing Russian texts by hand. The prescriptive way it used to be taught with a slope to the right so much reminds me of learning German handwriting - we had to use the right hand and slope to the right and stay between the lines where appropriate. At the time it was purgatory, now I am grateful as my Cyrillic texts are legible to Russians. (No doubt, my script is much too stilted for this millenium, but who cares?)

1 Like