Pictures instead of words?

When you make a new lingq and you choose which word is going to be your hint wouldn’t it be better if there was a picture instead? In the book “Fluent Forever” he talks about how when you have flash cards you want to have as little bit of your original language as possible so to always use pictures to represent new words instead of translations. I don’t know just thinking that it would even more increase the productivity of learning new words. What are your thoughts?

Interesting idea, thanks for your suggestion. Honestly, my opinion is that it woudn’t be easy to represent every word with picture, you must admit that. :slight_smile: that’s why I think that, for now, it’s better to continue with translations flashcards.

It is definitely a good idea to connect words with pictures for beginners in a given language. On the other hand, I think it could work with simple verbs and nouns only (e.g. run, walk, apple, sun). Regarding LingQ, I agree with Zoran. In LingQ my target language is English and I just finished with “I Have a Dream, Martin Luther King” lesson. It could be very difficult to convert those words into a picture and show them in flash cards. If you want to go that way I suggest you to check ankiweb.net where you can download flashcards in different languages. There are some with pictures and some without. The good thing is that you can edit cards and you can add your own words and pictures if you want. You can also create own cards. Of course, those are not related to your lessons on LingQ. To tell you the truth sometimes when I tired of my cards in LingQ, I just use the other cards in anki. Good luck.

There is a website that is called memrise.com that words just like that. It uses picture to help you learn words. I use the site from time to time, but I have found that lingq has help more.

I have never really liked the idea of using pictures instead of words. I guess it can work for simple words like ‘apple’. but imagine you come across a picture of a man standing with a happy facial expression. Would this translate as ‘person’, ‘man’, ‘to stand’, ‘to smile’, or ‘happy’? I suspect that most words would not be clearly and unambiguously representable using pictures. Also, the time that you would need to spend picking out these pictures would be huge, and I suspect, better spent on other activities.

2 Likes