I think I've lost motivation to study Japanese. Any motivational speeches or any other kind of help?

It’s just that I other things to study too and sometimes I just don’t know how to deal with Kanji. I decided to learn them as I learn words but that’s also a slow and frustrating process.

Try to find things that interest you about Japan or Japanese. And be patient with Kanji. Try to enjoy the process and recognize that you will continue to forget and relearn and forget and relearn and eventually things will fall into place. Good luck.

Hi
I don’t know what is your interest about Japan and what is your level of Japanese. Here are some message threads in Open Forum in Japanese.

楽しい日本語ゲーム GenkiJapan.net
楽しい日本語ゲーム Genkijapan.Net - Language Forum @ LingQ
You can find fun videos of GenkiJapan.net and learn some useful phrases with kanji.

カタカナの書き方 (How to write Japanese katakana)

Learn how to write katakana first, then you can write and read some easy kanji. Some kanji are combinations of katakana.

I’ve been learning (actually enjoying) English for long years. Mostly I enjoy listening to American podcasts and American TV show. I also watch and enjoy YouTube videos every day. It’s fun.

Make friends of Japanese natives in LingQ. It will be a big motivation.

Hope this helps. Gambatte !

1 Like

Motivational speeches eh? Try this one on for size

1 Like

The Kanji is definitely a problem. Try to start small. Learn only a few at a time. I can’t really give you any words of motivation, as I you can only find motivation within yourself. But as the others suggested, do things that interest you. I assume from your profile picture that you like anime. If you do, watch it. Learning Japanese is a long, and can sometimes be a frustrating process. But don’t lose your patience. Good luck to you.

I am into motivation and self improvement and I have something for you.
Take a piece of paper and something to write. YOU MUST DO IT NOW.
Write down 5 reasons why you want to learn that particular language. Do it NOW. 5 reasons, not less.
Write them down and read out loud. Everytime you feel like lacking motivation to learn, read your list. You can also read it on a daily basis, it is up to you. Hope it helps. Good luck!

Greg

1 Like

Imagine yourself in a market in Tokyo–see yourself asking for something you want in Japanese. Imagine that that person understands you, tells you the cost. You give him the money, the merchant smiles as he gives you what you desire. Feel your inner excitement because you were able to converse and understand.
If imagining an interchange like this can inspire you, put pictures of Japan around your home.

Put a date in your diary when you plan to travel to Japan. You might just be surprised!

Find other people who share your passion for Japan; take them out to coffee once a month.

Get a Japanese pen pal.

in 18 months time you can be:

a) 18 months older, wishing you could speak japanese
or
b) 18 months older, able to speak japanese.

It’s up to you. The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll finish.

I haven’t started learning japanese yet, but when I do I plan on listening and using a kanji translator to put everything into roman alphabet. when I can read the romanised stuff well, and have good listening, then I’ll move on to the kanji. For me, the symbols are ‘part 2’, and separate. Just my opinion though.

1 Like

Flawless logic :slight_smile:

"I haven’t started learning japanese yet, but when I do I plan on listening and using a kanji translator to put everything into roman alphabet. when I can read the romanised stuff well, and have good listening, I’ll move on to the kanji. For me, the symbols are ‘part 2’, and separate "

In my view, learning Kanji from the beginning makes learning Japanese easier. Learn the Kanji 電 and you´ll be able to identify hundreds of words as “words that have something to do with electricity and probably start with DEN”

電化 でんか(denka) electric+transformation=electrification
電気 でんき(denki) electric+spirit= electricity
電子 でんし (denshi) electric+child = electron
電話 でんわ (denwa) electric+speak= telephone

It takes a long time to learn Kanji, that´s why you should start learning it now :wink:

BUT that´s just my opinion. I guess there´s more than one “right way” to learn Japanese. The only thing one must do to learn a language is invest a lot of time.

Cheers, Paule89

Well, I don’t anything about japanese, but I know that to learn new language you have to make a committed decicion, you know… you have to “play” the langage every day, it’s not something you should get, it’s something you must get, go for it!, get obscesed about it!. Listen to me, when I started learning english I used to listen to it all day long and even nights sometimes,I know… you must be thinking that guy is crazy, but notice that I mentioned PLAY the laguage not studying the language, and what I mean is… have fun, enjoy the process, I mean, for example a bascketball player don’t study backetball he plays it, he has fun doing it and he can do it for hours and hours and even still enjoy the process. Now you are think… ok got it, But when will I have time for playing the language? well, make up youir time, use net time, you know… when you doing the diches listen to it, doing laundry, going to work in the bus or car whatever… listen to understandable things you love talking about and hearing about repeatedly, talk to self in the targeted language, be crazy, act nutts, take action! but special HAVE FUN!!! \0/ \0/ \0/ \0/ \0/ \0/ \0/ \0/ \0/ Good luck :wink:

Nope. If you’re not motivated, a speech from somebody else isn’t going to do the trick. I suggest saving time and finding another hobby.

2 Likes