Has anyone here become fluent in Russian?

Or at least proficient?

I understand Russian is a longer journey to become proficient in it for an native English speaker due to the differences in grammar, vocabulary, and just cultural differences (for example, it’s just relatively odd a person here in want to learn Russian).

Just curious how many are on here that have practiced enough to become expressive in Russian.

1 Like

Hi ! =)))

I still think, as for all these languages featuring the retained historical paradigm of declentions and conjugations, it’s more a matter of practice, rather than the analysis of these grammar paradigms! =)))

That’s what yelds real result, in my opinion! :wink:

It may be qurious for you to know, children make huge lots of mistakes while mastering Russian! =))) As well as adults, by the way! :wink:

I humbly submit that I have done so, and have essentially done it all through LingQ.

3 Likes

I have fumbled through your videos and you seem to be able to express yourself quite well!
Do you have any videos of you Skyping with a native Russian speaker? I can’t seem to find any.

Also, is it possible to get the same speaking practice by just reading the words from the script out loud? It’s probably not like having a conversation, but is it a valid practice substitute?

1 Like

Hi, Steve! =)))

But the result is really superb, to say the least of it! =))) To the extent, that when I’m listening to you speaking, I just do not even have to excessively concentrate which is sometimes the case with other foreigners speaking Russian!

Well done indeed, really!

Hi ! =)))

I’ve been having the same experience with another language, just trying to substitute speaking practice by mere reading the words; it’s only in comparison with a live native speaker that I immediately felt huge difference! =)))

The same with your Russian! =))) I still think we can eventually try to make speaking practice with you; besides, as we are both English speaking, you will not be forced to literally have a coherent conversation, as it’s still too early for you, as far as I can feel…

1 Like

If this turns out to be a double-posting, apologies! (I could swear I replied to this 10-15 minutes ago.) The wonderful @skyblueteapot became a v proficient (at least, if not fluent) speaker through LingQ. She started at about the same time as Steve did, if I remember rightly.

I may confirm @TommyTrueTravel has also become fluent in Russian.

1 Like

Hardly superb, since I need to speak more to become really fluent.

I will try to set up a conversation in Russian and post the video. Maybe Ress will oblige.

Ultimately you have to speak and speak a lot. The listening, reading and LingQing builds up your potential, and it is an enjoyable activity in its own right. However,to speak well you need to speak a lot. In my view , this massive speaking is best done once you have enough comprehension and vocabulary to engage in meaningful conversations. It can begin, however, whenever we feel like it.

3 Likes

At any rate, Steve, there’s just 1 or 2 percent before a hundred! =))) It’s my personal perception, actually! :wink:

I know from my own experience, there’s a huge difference between addressed and unaddressed speech, the latter being somewhat less efficient as far as memorizing new words and subconscious grammar aspects is concerned! :wink:

Yay! Though what gave me an ‘unfair’ advantage over an Anglo learning Russian as his first foreign L was my native German and 6 years of Latin, which both make Russian grammar a lot more relatable and a very basic familiarity with Slovak from always going there, as well as having learnt languages before Russian.

PS: I want to see that Russian chat Sergey-Steve on Youtube!!!

hi,i am russian and i want to upgrade my english.we can help each other.my skype B-O-W-33))

Yep, we can try that!

1 Like

Sergey, have you got time for a skype chat in Russian! Please let me know.

Replied with a private message.

The words “fluent” and “proficient” can mean anything, and therefore mean nothing. After about 4 years, I’ve reached B2, although I’ve never taken a test.

I will have a discussion with a new Russian tutor this weekend. If she agrees I will record it and put it up as a youtube video.

I think the term fluent is quite well understood by most people. To me it means speaking freely, understanding most of what we hear, on most subjects, and yet making mistakes, stumbling now and then, and having less than perfect pronunciation. What do others think.

At any rate that is what you will hear from me if I make the video.

Exactly. Fluency is a bit overused. My definition is that I can exchange my own thoughts without much hesitation. If I can go beyond small talk (hello, how are you, how old are you, the typical canned stuff) and the conversation is organic, I’ll be happy.

I was tutoring a kid from Ukraine because he was struggling with understanding chemistry. If I could tutor him in Russian, I would’ve been happy as well.

1 Like