A little bit of grammar

…could be useful to feel more secure in discussion.
It is an interesting phenomenon that sometimes you can notice your grammar mistakes at the same moment you make them during conversation. But then - unfortunatly - it’s too late!
To be able to speak more fluently and to avoid thinking about grammar constructions too much, I thought about repeating grammar a bit.
Perhaps you have some recommendations where to find interesting grammar pages.
But only as much as necessary! :slight_smile:

What language do you mean?
I’ve written some grammar lessons for Russian (Грамматические модели, Практическая грамматика), for English (Step by Step, English Grammar and Vocabulary) and for German(Schritt für Schritt, Grammatik und Synonmie).
But I tried to give only the most useful and practical stuff where my students make mistakes most of all.
If it’s not enough for you, you can easily find something in the Internet.
But search in the Interner if you would like to solve a concret problem, not all Grammar. It’s useless und impossible.

Good question, Lisel, and thank you Evgueny40 for the lessons that cover this. I too am one that insists on proper grammar when speaking and/or writing. I often criticize myself too much when learning a new language over my inaccurate grammar when attempting to speak. I actually think that I would learn much faster if I wasn’t so picky about my grammar and accent as well. I take pride in speaking any language with utmost clarity and proper pronunciation. Should I be less concerned with perfect grammar when learning a new language or should I strive to take the extra time to get it perfect before moving on in lessons?

It depends on your goal. It you would like only to read and sometimes to speak, you can limit your grammar skills with some basic things. But if you would like also to write, you need more detailed grammar.
And it is also important: to speak in the Intermediate level in English you need less grammar than to do the same in Russian or even in German.

My Russian language priorities are, #1 Speaking and Listening (fully understanding what’s being said), #2 Reading.

1 Like

As for listening, well, and comprehension, of course, an idea occurred to me the other day, I tried to describe it, this being my personal experience; I’ll paste it here! :wink:

An idea occurred to me, and it’s based on my own experience of mastering the language, English, of course! =))

What many audio courses lack is the phrases they present, but pronounced either at normal spoken speed, natural for a native of that language, or, which is stil better, as I noticed from my own experience, spoken even at a much higher speed than average! =)))

There has to be one restriction, however, the phrases have to be VERY SHORT, or else a non-native will just have no time to “digest” the beginning of the phrase, while the next part of it is already going next, like an avalanche, crushing both, the perception of the initial part of phrase, and, of course, the final one! =)))

The reason why I suddenly brought it up is that I both had this very hard experience back than, as I had a chance to experience my first ever exposure to normal spoken English, and the problems I face today while trying to teach a non-native of Russian to at least hear and make out the words spoken in Russian! =)))

Sure enough, the first presentation of the words and structures has to be done at a low speed, just as they normally do, i.e. maybe even at an artificially lower speed, but what my idea is, the exposure to the same phrases at a high, or even excessively high speed should not be putt off to a much more advanced stage of learning the language; no matter how strange and unexpected it may seem at first! =)))

The reason why I addressed you is, that during your first ever exposure to normal spoken Russian, I gather, you experienced the same problem, time after time! :wink:

Just as I did back then, when I first time experienced normal English speech spoken at least 5 or 6 times as quicker, compared to what I’d been accustomed to up until that moment! :wink:

I’ve been listening to “http://russianpodcast.eu/”. Only thing I don’t care for are the music intro’s, but other than that, it’s not so bad. Have any other recommendations to real-world listening?

“What language do you mean?”
Italian