How Can I Download The Audio From Euronews?

This article for example, is in French and has clear audio.

I want to import this article but don’t know how to download the audio.

Anyone know how?

Cheers

http://fr.euronews.com/2014/08/18/ecosse-un-mois-avant-le-referendum-les-independantistes-a-la-traine/

If audio/video is not very long I just use Audacity and record it by setting recording from sound card - basically all sound that your computer will produce will be recorded.

Here is your audio:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzcRSCvp2cXQLXlISTY0NGc0dVU/edit?usp=sharing

(You can download it by pressing on icon at the top of the screen)

1 Like

Find the source code of the page with that video, e.g. in Chrome you can right click and select ‘View source code’, then search for “.mp4”. Usually the second hit is the link to the mp4 file.

In this case, it’s http://video-mp4.euronews.com/mp4/med/news/fr/140818_NWAN_170A0-191323_F.mp4?1408374642

Remove the very last number and question mark so it becomes http://video-mp4.euronews.com/mp4/med/news/fr/140818_NWAN_170A0-191323_F.mp4

That’s the video file’s url.

1 Like

I normally do it either the way jv or derek mentions (depending on what the source code gives me), but in the below video link at 3:30 Steve cuts and pastes the text and video into a lesson import then clicks upload audio file. Is this the way everyone does it? I’ve never done it like this, and honestly don’t know. Do you need any special software, or special level of lingq membership? Or have I mis-viewed something? - YouTube

Forgot to mention that you might want to convert mp4 to mp3 or another audio file format before you upload them on Lingq. In my case I usually use Audacity for the conversation.

sorry , i just re-watched and see Steve downloaded it previously, then just pulled it from his download list. Does anyone do any different from what jv or derek mentions?

If the audio is already an mp3 file there is no difficulty. Usually I right click and “save the link as” and it downloads to wherever I want it on my computer. A video is different. I bought a software called Wondershare for saving videos and converting them to mp3 files. It works in some cases but not in others.

Another tool that I use is JDownloader 2 BETA (JDownloader.org - Official Homepage)

It can download basically everything. You just paste link in it and it will show you all the elements of that page (videos, images, css and js files). You just select needed files and download them.

EDIT: You can also download videos which “are not available in your country” form sites like arte.tv, zdf.de etc.

Do I have to pay for Audacity?

OK, I got Audacity, how do I go about taking the video and saving it as audio through audacity (apologies for ultra newbie questions)?

Assuming no copyright issues, or you are exercising fair use rights etc:

Open device toolbar.
In the first (Host) box of Device Toolbar, choose “Windows WASAPI”.
In the second (Output device) box in Device Toolbar, choose the Speakers or Headphones that you are using for listening.
In the third (Input device) box in Device Toolbar, choose the (loopback) input for the same device you chose in step 3. For example, if you chose “Speakers” in Step 3, choose “Speakers (loopback)” in this step.
In the fourth (Input Channels) box in Device Toolbar, choose mono or stereo.
Start playing the audio you want to record.
Press the big red Record button in Audacity.

1 Like

Great explanation!

However, when I try to export it and save it, it says it couldn’t “Open mp3 encoding library” I think it’s something to do with “Lame” whatever that means?

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks a lot mate, should be up and running, was gonna ask why you’re up this early but then realised you’re Latvian! I should be in Riga sometime next year

Ace

I managed to use Audacity which has worked fine.

How can I know if I’m infringing copyright, Steve?

As long as you use it for your own use there are no issues. If you plan to share it in the library, you will have to ask for permission unless the material is obviously no longer under copyright or if there is clear permission to share it without restriction.

May I clarify about Euronews? Is it allowed to share their materials here or not?

No, it is not allowed:

1 Like