A referendum: Old forum (Linear) vs. New forum (TreeView)

I think it is a good idea to listen to the members and especially the users of this forum.

Please vote “Old” or “New” to show what you like. Simply post a post that contains only this word to make it easier for me to follow it. Please answer to this first post only, not to a former post (which makes this thread linear).

In addition to make clear the difference: What you cannot do in the ‘new’ version is to read a thread, leave it for two days after maybe 20 posts, come back after these two days and simply scroll to the 21st post and start reading and get all the new posts. New posts could have been added to the 5th, the 7th, the 12th ect. post. You have to read from the beginning to find ALL the NEW posts now (if you have not subscribed to the thread for email notifications). I’m not sure if everybody has realized this. (I know from other forums how it works). I think the ‘new’ version looks quite nice, but I think technically it doesn’t work for heavy readers like me who wants to read everything on the interesting threads.

PLEASE: No comments. Just “new” or “old”! If you want to comment use the forum post “New Forum UI, …”.

I’ll update this first post regarding the preferences of the users.

Old - linear (32):
VeraI
SanneT
evgueny40
Julz611
LFJ
Jolanda
lovelanguagesIII
Prinz_Jogi
Paule89
Fasulye
Irene777
MADARA
nd71
debbielim
defrno
OzzyHellBack
Dobie42
berta
neofight78
jreidy
Ginkgo58
homofaber
sauliokas
Friedemann
Wulfgar
mikebond
jonlingq
Matt92
LanguageLewis
SaeidMousavi
TheBrazilianPolyglot
Romnik

New - nested (11):
iaing
JakubMarian
cosmo678
Mark
eugrus
Imani
keke_eo
dooo
Ferdy
Jorgis
kmahly

3 Likes

Old

1 Like

Old

1 Like

Old!
4/9 - I would change to ‘New’ if they fixed the scroll-to-last-post…

1 Like

New. Come on guys, every update it is always the same. Hate it, hate it… ok now it’s ok.

1 Like

Vera, I know you will delete this. And that’s ok. But - if they collapsed/hid individual responses/replies, as a default, it would a be really good forum format. Same as the old, but less likely to derail, and more likely to foster side conversation. I could have a side conversation with Julz without fear of being deleted. You could have your thread format intact. Everyone wins. Why choose everyone loses option? Go ahead - delete.

Please delete your post on your own. Is it so difficult to accept such an easy advice? The other thread is to comment. This is a referendum only! Also I’m interested what will happen if you delete your post with this post.

1 Like

New, in principle, but it needs a couple of improvements.

1 Like

Old

Vera, why would I want to delete my comment? We have enough deleters already on this forum. When the Guardian’s Cif went to nested comments, everyone carried on just like lingq commentators are doing. Now, it is a great system, imo. Please put back the comments you deleted from julz, and the other poor guy that you deleted out of the whole equation (even his vote).

I haven’t deleted a post on this thread. Neither the post of julz (she wrote me that she had deleted the post on her own) nor the post of gregf.

We ‘deleters’ only delete the spammers that have threatened the forum for the last weeks. I’ve never deleted a single post from someone else. People who know me would know that I wouldn’t do this. After gregf decided to delete his post, I deleted the comment that I’ve added seconds before in the vote post. Before you judge on me, you should know the facts.

2 Likes

ok, I apologise.

old

new

Old

1 Like

Old forum :wink:

Old

1 Like

We know changes to existing functionality for existing users are difficult to deal with. Especially when there are bugs and rough edges to be worked out still. The first time you try to do something that you used to do and you can’t, you want everything back the way it was before. The negative response is always much stronger than the positive response you might have for any improved aspects of the change. To me, it looks like people are using and liking the functionality that allows you to respond to individual posts right there instead of one, two or three pages later. I know I am definitely finding this functionality very useful. Also, being able to click from the email link directly to the post I want to respond to is phenomenal. I am sorry for those of you who are having trouble with this functionality and we have to work with you to resolve it. I understand your frustrations but once we get these issues resolved I think you will find this a good thing. Previously, it was very difficult to find posts on long threads. Yes, it is no longer possible to read a thread from start to finish and then come back to it later and easily pick up where you left off. Like in many things, there is a tradeoff.

There is no perfect forum solution. This new model is a model that is common on the web including some of the most popular discussion sites like Reddit for example. We have decided to change the forum because we think this format encourages more interaction. We realize we need to continue to work to refine this implementation and we appreciate all suggestions to improve it. We ask that you give us a chance to work out the kinks and try it for a while. We think this approach will grow on you.

The fact is that web applications, in particular, need to constantly improve and stay current otherwise they will be left behind. That is what we will continue to do at LingQ as we try to make our site a significant destination for language learners. We are not there yet so we need to innovate.

Old

1 Like

old

1 Like