It looks like you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Sorry, we only support IE 10 and above. To use the site you will need to use a more up to date browser. We strongly recommend you upgrade to:

Jumping to the next blue word is really annoying

Go to page: « 1 2

Mark, I don't completely understand why you want to implement the "all manual" mode. I think there are mostly two kinds of people here, one that want what Steve described as "linQing mode" (the current one), and the rest which would like to have what Steve called "reading mode" (which is basically the same as the the way it is now, just with all actions of the form "goToTheNextWordOfTheSameColor()" replaced by "goToTheNextHighlightedWord()").

Implementing the manual mode seems to require more work and is not really what most people in this thread wanted. Honestly, a simple option in the settings menu saying something like "Keyboard actions ignore colours" would make most of us happy, and it can't be a matter of more than a few minutes to implement it.

In fact, Jakub, we don't know what most people want. I sometimes don't know what I want. I think I would prefer the "reading mode" that I described, but then again it is not a big deal to use the arrow key to move from a converted blue word to the next coloured word. Furthermore, I often, when reading, would like to change the status of a newly created LingQ to status 2. This is so that I can tell where I am in a text. If I leave text, when I return I just pick up reading at the first dark yellow (status 1) word. There are, in fact many ways to use the site and many different preferences.

Mark's view is that we should make only one change at this time and offer fewer options. Most people don't like or even understand or look at different options, and, I am convinced, would not understand "Keyboard actions ignore colours" .

So I agree with Mark and suggest we start using the "standard mode" to see how it works.

Steve, I agree that using arrow keys after 'k'/'x'/'enter' is not a big deal, and I will be happy if the suggested mode gets implemented (although I still fail to see while this mode should switch off auto-scrolling). My point is that the "reading mode" as described by you and me is much more consistent with the current way (which actually does exactly the same if the next word has the same colour as the current word), I firmly believe most of us would consider it more convenient than the suggested manual mode, and it would be easier to implement than the manual mode.

Maybe there's some point I am missing, but I don't understand why the developers should invest more time in creating something less convenient which, at the same time, provides a less unified experience.

"Keyboard actions ignore colours" wasn't really a suggestion for the actual caption; I am sure the developers would find a better way to describe it. In fact, I really like your "reading" and "lingQing mode". These explain quite well what the two modes are meant for.

Let's start with this small change and see how it goes.

I'm actually very excited to try it with the "standard mode" option, as I currently go out of my way to turn off auto-scroll.

I like doo's comment. One of the reasons I don't use lingq to read text is because this function doesn't seem to be available.

@mark "adding keyboard shortcuts for status when on yellow words" > this sounds great!

Go to page: « 1 2

To comment login or sign up for a free account