World Cup

It all starts in a few hours. I thought I’d start a thread for the event

John Oliver discusses Fifa and the world cup

1 Like

I don’t understand how soccer remains the “world’s favorite sport”, when a referee can so easily give the game away, and by doing so encouraging diving and faking injuries. Terrible start to the games, on top of the scandals already surrounding the events.

1 Like

Looks like FIFA is already planning to award the world cup to Brazil…

“I don’t understand how soccer remains the “world’s favorite sport”, when a referee can so easily give the game away, and by doing so encouraging diving and faking injuries. Terrible start to the games, on top of the scandals already surrounding the events.”

I guess soccer is popular because all you need to play it is a ball. You can play it almost everywhere and you can easily change the rules. All that makes it a perfect sport for poor people (—> the vast majority of people on this planet)

1 Like

Oh and it’s football not soccer. I can’t understand why some people call ‘football’ what the Americans play when most of the time the ball is either in one’s grip or they pile one on top of each other.

1 Like

And also because it’s almost an art! Look at players like Zidane, Ronaldinho, Messi, what they can (or could) do with a ball is amazing. Very few people can. I also like other sports such as rugby or tennis, but to me football is something else. It does not matter as much as in other sports whether a player is short or tall, thin or not, fast or slow. Well, it’s becoming more and more important, but still not as much as in other sports. Add to this that no two matches look the same.

Cheating has always been part of this sport. Most of the most famous football matches are still remembered decades afterwards because they were controversial. Those are the matches that make people even more passionate about this sport.

Aside from that, the opening ceremony really sucked.

FIFAS slogan “together we fight against match manipulation” yeah right…

@MADARA: A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Romania isn’t anywhere close to Rome, but you don’t see me complaining about what we call it :wink:

1 Like

As an aside, I just love the way the English say “controversy.”

Robin Van Persieeeeeeeee!!! The guy is a class act - the real deal.

(Surely that header will end up being goal of the tournament?)

I agree – Van Persie’s goal may end up being the goal of the tournament.

Soccer is very popular because every once in a while one can watch such a great game as Netherlands vs. Spain today.

And yeah it is very democratic. In Brazil we play it everywhere – streets, backyards, etc.

1 Like

Dutch pride all around the place after the win against Spain. All political statements aside, I love how this game brings the people together once every 2 years ( European and World Cups).

Man I’m glad that Holland defeated Spain at such a difference :slight_smile:

Wow, I only know of four of the players on the entire England squad. How did it come to this? Last time, I know who they all were.

Apropos England v. Italy, it was kind of weird, IMO, because we played not too badly but still lost the game. (Normally, what happens with England in World Cup group matches is that we play dreadfully, yet somehow manage to fluke it through to the second round or quarter finals!

Mind you, I believe there are precedents for a team losing the opening match yet going on to do quite well - so maybe there is hope for us yet?

(As for Italy, they are always a very good side - but I reckon they will need to up their game considerably if they want to go really far in this tournament.)

Very encouraging display by Englandeven though we lost. With Costa Rica beating Uruguay we’ve still got to be favourites to qualify with Italy. Once Rooney breaks his drought and scores a goal, the flood gates will open.

Kick FIFA out of Football.

And djc, the answer to your question: ´ I don’t understand why football is so popular’ is easy. You’re American. There are many things Americans don’t see that are blatantly obvious to the rest of us :slight_smile:

I never watch soccer, yes that’s what we call it…don’t ask me why,…football is something else. At any rate, I only watch soccer every four years at World Cup time and I really enjoy it. The skill level and the things they do are amazing! It’s fun to see all the different countries playing this truly international game. The only disappointing thing is how canada is so bad at this game. There actually is a lot of soccer played here…

Schlaaaaaaaaaand oh Schlaaaaaand!

According to a report I saw on MSNBC, soccer should overtake hockey in terms of popularity in the US within the next couple of decades. This is based on observations of how popular of a sport it is on the amateur level (kids teams), and evident growth of its popularity here on the semi-professional level.