Language learning order for easier learning

So say in the next 5 years I want to learn to speak 2 Romance languages’ French and Italian; a Slavic, Russian and an Asian, say Chinese.

I understand that as I speak English as a native, it’ll be easiest to learn for example French, which will follow nicely onto Italian.

From there I would have the language learning experience to attempt a more difficult language like Russian and eventually to N even harder one like Chinese.

To me this seems logical but is it in practise this linear? Would this particular sequence work the best way to decrease time of learning as a whole or is there a better order or does it in fact not matter?

Just something I’ve been thinking about recently, what are your thoughts?

Learn Esperanto first. Many studies prove it speeds up and increases chances of success of subsequent langauages.

See Ted talk or web site of “Springboard to Languages”.

1 Like

Never try to learn two closely-related languages at the same time. Chinese is probably not ‘harder’ but it its vocabulary is very different from English and, of course, so is the writing system.

I am trying to read a text but the internet is so slow that it really is not working. For the almost a week we had hardly any connection at all. This is why I have not been using Lingq.

1. Sorry, I entered the previous text on the wrong thread. I find this PC with its shallow screen and less efficient touchpad, much less easy to use than my trusty
    Macbook Pro.
  2. The Captchas are often almost impossible to read and I do not know whether or not to type in all the letters that appear in the space.
  3. I cannot read all the text I am typing, because some of it disappears under the Recently Active Threads banner. This only seems to occur if I have to re-enter the Captcha because I was not able to read the letters. The audio version is totally impossible. Complaints finished!