Nice video about some of the differences between standard German German and one of our Austrian dialects ;-)

I just watched a nice video showing the differences between standard German and one of our dialects. The Austrian guy speaking in that video is not speaking in standard Austrian German but in a specific regional dialect which, however, is completely understandable in the rest of Austria and while he is obviously not from my region, I’d use all the expressions he used too (except for one, where he says “des is gscheit…” - I understand it and I love that expression but it is not common where I live).

So, the title is a bit misleading because it is not “Austrian German” but one of our dialects. I wonder how many of the advanced learners of German here would have understood what the guy said. Because that is indeed the way we speak to each other amongst friends etc. (don’t worry, with foreigners we speak standard Austrian German ;-)).

P.S. And here is a really funny video (it’s a satire even though some people commenting on that video and who are obviously native speakers of German did not get that;-))

2 Likes

The few parts I could understand were “lustig”. “Lernen Sie jetze Ihre Muttersprache”. ^^
It will be a long road before I understand Native material and normal speaking speed.

This video makes me think that “Austrian” German and German German are as different as Spanish and Italian. Well, I guess “a language is a dialect with an army.”^^

ad Paul: (…) … Well, I guess “a language is a dialect with an army.”^^ (…)

I guess, it is :slight_smile:

What would you say if we did a recording where you speak in your dialect and I try to speak in mine? My dialect is quite neutral and not that strong (it is not really the local one but rather close to standard German, at least that’s what I’ve been told by some of my language partners).

I guess, I probably would have more difficulties than you. It might be a fun thing to do. Just let me know when you have time if you are interested in it at all.

I’ll ask Jolanda to do the same. This could show to what extent we understand each other when we use our local dialects :wink:

Yeah, the three us should (try to…) have a conversation in our dialects.^^

“My dialect is quite neutral and not that strong (it is not really the local one but rather close to standard German, at least that’s what I’ve been told by some of my language partners).”

My dialect is not that strong either. I´m basically just pronouncing “g” as “j” and I omit or change the last syllable of many words to talk faster. It´s basically “tuned Hochdeutsch”.^^

Jo supa, daunn red i glei amoi mit da Jolanda. I bin ma sicha sie find de Idee a guat. Waunn i jetzt no jünga wär und a no dazua a bissal so redn tät wie a poa Leit in meina Gegend do, daunn tat i jetzt sogn: Leckfettn, Oida, des wiad vui supa (oda: geil;-)).

In der geschriebenen Version klingt das schwerer verständlich als es in der gesprochenen Variante ist. Irgendwie ist das schon faszinierend, wie unterschiedlich zumindest das Schriftbild im Dialekt aussieht. Es gibt ja keine einheitlichen Regeln für die Verschriftung der Dialekte, aber manchmal denke ich mir, wir wachsen angesichts der zuweilen doch gravierenden Unterschiede zwischen der Standardsprache und dem Dialekt eigentlich schon “zweisprachig” auf :wink:

Ich werde mich bei Jolanda melden und dann können wir einen Termin ausmachen. Bei mir geht es am besten am Abend oder am Wochenende.

1 Like

Na, ick und Jolanda hatt’n ja eigentlé schonma’sowat in’na Art anjefang, aba dit is’denn halt do’nüscht jewordn weil ick zu der Zeit janz andre Sachen im Kopp hatte. Frach se einfa’ma un’denn kieken wa weida.

1 Like