Activity Score-- Questions

My current activity score sits at a very respectable 2997-- the 90 day challenge has been a good kick in the you know where. However, my score pales in comparison to top-ranked uses who have 10, 000+ points.

How many hours a day does one complete to get to these impressive scores?

Does my listening time have any influence on the score? What about if I write and speak outside of LingQ? – does this add to my score? (assuming i manually put it in).

Thanks in advance,

M

@mikebooks - listening doesn’t influence on the activity score. For writing, only submitted writing exchange requests count. Anyway, all those activities (including outside ones) are very important for meeting your targets.

If listening doesn´t count, what else doesn´t count?

@Treiscuarenta - reading doesn’t count as well because it is impossible to track this activity objectively. For activity score only activities that can be automatically tracked count.

So if i spend all day listening, reading, writing and talking, I get zero points.

?

@Ferdy

Yeah!! But after all day listening,reading,writing and talking you know that it was a beautiful day! with zero points!

Who cares? It was your beautiful day!

enjoy learning!

j;-)

2 Likes

Considering that listening is what i do most (and to not get “credited” for my time) seems a bit off-putting. I do understand that some people could just put in that they listened 40 hours this week and leap to the top of the standings, however, for most…

Also, given that Steve puts a lot of stock (as well do I) into listening a lot, there should be some way to account for this time in the points.

M

You shouldn’t worry guys. First of all, we learn for ourselves, not for somebody or something. If you spend all day listening and reading, it is amazing! It is great contribution to your languages no matter how many points you get for that.

The reason listening doesn’t count for an activity score is that it is impossible to track it objectively as we all have control over our listening scores (as well as reading and outside writing). However, it does count for your targets which is more important for your real progress. What do you think?

Learning is for ourselves however, a little comparison from time to time can be a good motivator for me and for others. A goal might be to move towards the top of the table by working really hard e.g. in a 90 day challenge. I must admit I have increased my workload and have been tracking it. I didn’t realise until yesterday that listening and reading didn’t count.

I can see that it might not seem like that big of a deal as we can compare activity scores based on other input but…surely motivating leaners especially when it relates to listening and reading is of interest to LingQ rather than not optimising what can be done. I think it’s more important for LingQ to read and listen now than for the learners to be honest! Language learners don’t always have good habits and I thought LingQ was trying to push learners into the habit of listening and reading rather than possibly motivating them to do other things (or diluting their key message of listen and read and make lingqs). You can’t have it both ways and expect results.

I think it’s much better to risk people lying on their activity rather than not maximise on your ability to motivate learners. I would almost suggest that you get double points for listening and reading (objective or subjective regardless)!

привет Galina!

I have to agree with Treiscuarenta. Listening and reading away from the screen are the backbone of our learning. It would be fitting for every activity to be weighted correspondingly in the index. Not only because the index figure is indeed motivating, but also because this measure of our activity should be as accurate as possible.

Power to all!

I agree-- we learn for ourselves. But…

Then why keep track at all? That my hours don’t count (as far as Score goes) seems a bit unfair given that I listen 2-3 hours every day. Of course my listening helps me in the real world of language learning (I don’t listen for the purpose of scoring higher) but it would be encouraging to see this effort reflected somehow in the Top Scores.

Now back to LingQing

M

@all - Thanks for your feedback on this. As we move forward we are looking at expanding the tracking and reporting aspects of the site, as we feel this will help motivate learners further. We’ll keep your ideas in mind and will see what we can do to make this a reality in the future!

As for the issue of people cheating in their indication of external time spent: Their problem. Serious learners will recognize each other. Someone with a cheating attitude won’t succeed on LingQ, but should rather go to fluentin3months.

I don’t think this is an argument.

To add to the cheating part. If i wanted I could import loads of text and LingQ prodigiously (without reading). I could also import text and press Know All. Both of these actions would dramatically improve my Activity Score but in no way help my French Language learning.

M

1 Like

The system can tell when we are listening online. Is that counted? (Of course, we could just have the player going while we were running around doing something else, but again, what would be the point?)

@Muerte, mikebooks, Jingle - It’s great to see so many of you are passionate about the Activity Score and different activities on the site :slight_smile:

If we are to implement this, we want to make sure it’s done properly rather than just throwing something together and not having it work consistently. I’m not sure if we’ll be making any immediate updates to the Activity Score, but as I mentioned above we do hope to improve the statistics and reporting on the site as we believe this is a great way to motivate learners. Keep the ideas coming!