What do you think about the pope Fancisco?

What do you think about the pope Fancisco?

You see, I am argentinian. So, I want to knowwhat do you thik about the pope Francisco.

Didn´t he say that atheists can go to heaven? What´s next? BBQs for vegetarians? ^^

No doubt most ordinary Catholics are decent and nice people, but the church (at the higher levels, at least) is pretty rotten and corrupt, IMO. It’s hard to imagine that this pope will be very much different to all of the others who went before, but only time will tell…

The thing that I really don’t understand about Catholic theology is this: why is there so much stuff which has no basis whatsoever in the Bible? For example, why are their priests not allowed to marry and have a normal family life?? (As far as I’m aware, all that the Bible says about religious leaders is that they should be monogamous.)

It seems to me that this celibacy rule is a guarantee that most normal healthy young men will not want to become priests; at the same time it is an open invitation to people who are creepy and abnormal.

And then people wonder why so many children are being abused by Catholic priests…

“The thing that I really don’t understand about Catholic theology is this: why is there so much stuff which has no basis whatsoever in the Bible? […] For example, why are their priests not allowed to marry and have a normal family life?”

1 Corinthians 7:32-- But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord 33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please [his] wife. 34 There is difference [also] between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please [her] husband.

I also read that the catholic church passed the “celibacy laws” to prevent priests from giving their children positions in the church, whether or not they were qualified for them.The bible is full of contradictions though, so I´m sure there are verses that “allow” priests to get married as well. I´m not sure if the bible even mentions priests.

“And then people wonder why so many children are being abused by Catholic priests…”

Some argue that catholic priests are not abusing children more often than “other males”. The problem is that the catholic church has done a lot to protect these priests…

@Paule

As far as I can see that isn’t saying that priests can‘t marry (arguably it is saying it is better if they don’t, I guess.)

Isn’t there a passage somewhere saying a bishop should be a husband of one wive??

(But yeah, there have been some serious cover-ups over the last 100 years and more.)

Yeah, that passage means it´s better.

It think we should see what a Catholic has to say about this .

I for one am interested in comparative religion so I can safely say that if there’s no mention in the Bible in which a priest is not allowed to get married , then we can tell our own opinions without being afraid to insult their religion.

I believe that everyone can get married considering that even Moses ( may God’s peace be upon him) tied the knot.
What I believe to be their justification is that Jesus ( may God’s peace be upon him) didn’t have a wife so that’s why they say that if he didn’t, that means that others can do the same .

Thanks for participating!
I wanted your opinion about pope Francisco, and you have finished speaking about Church. !!

@kimojima : I did not get it this: "I’m wondering when LingQ is going to let Alex marry. I’ll be happy for him, but I’ll miss his dedicated support once this happens! "

I imagine Kimo meant that Alex works so hard and such very long hours for LingQ, that he doesn’t have time to find a wife.
My girls have seen him on You-tube & think he’s cute… . Actually, when I saw him (as an 18 year old) on You-tube I wanted to adopt him myself right away! Haha!

I think he is great. What a refreshing change to have a forward thinking character as Pope.

Best thing to happen to Catholicism since Christ :slight_smile:

Viva Pope Francisco.

Personally, I was born Catholic, but in general despise the Church for it’s hypocrisy, ill deeds, and especially it’s defense of Fascism in Spain and elsewhere.

“I was born Catholic”

Hmmm…all of my family members are atheists, so I guess I was “born atheist”.^^
I guess most conversions happen to children, while most deconversions happen to adults…

“Best thing to happen to Catholicism since Christ :-)”

I find him much more likeable than Ratzinger, but has he done anything significant to “improve” catholicism? I haven´t been following the news about him, that´s why I´m asking.^^